Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 05 Jul 24 12:03:09, всего сообщений: 12525
= Сообщение: 3597 из 12525 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : David Rance                      2:203/2            09 Mar 16 20:30:10
Кому : Gerrit Kuehn                                        09 Mar 16 20:30:10
Тема : Translation
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+56e079c2
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:240/12+569fc4b5
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: UTF-8 ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:240/12+569fc4b7
On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 17:30:12 Gerrit Kuehn -> David Rance wrote:

GK> Hello David!

GK> 09 Mar 16 11:29, David Rance wrote to Gerrit Kuehn:

DR>> "Regulationsstörungen" translates as "poor regulation" or "regulation
DR>> disorder". So does "regulation" in this context have to do with bowel
DR>> movements?

GK> No, I don't think so, at least not necessarily (see below).

GK>>> This is a standing medical term in German, you probably know it as
GK>>> "Dreimonatskoliken".

DR>> "Three month colic" (colic - pains in the belly)

GK> This is the colloquial German term that was coined because this is
GK> often seen in the first three months of a baby's life, and is (was?)
GK> often attributed to colics. However, recent medical opinions about this
GK> appear to be broader. From the German wikipedia article cited before:

GK> ---
GK> Eine Regulationsstörung im Säuglingsalter (früher teilweise auch
GK> Dreimonatskoliken genannt) bezeichnet die außergewöhnliche
GK> Schwierigkeit eines Säuglings, sein Verhalten in einem, häufig aber
GK> in mehreren Interaktions- und regulativen Kontexten (Selbstberuhigung,
GK> Schreien, Schlafen, Füttern, Aufmerksamkeit) angemessen zu regulieren.
GK> ---

GK> Rushing a translation:

GK> ---
GK> A regulation disorder at the infant age (previously also called
GK> three-months colics) describes the extraordinary difficulty of an
GK> infant to regulate its behaviour in one, often in several,
GK> interactional and regulative contexts (calming itself, crying,
GK> sleeping, feeding, attention) in a decent manner.
GK> ---

GK> So "regulation" is meant in a broader sense here, and is not limited to
GK> bowel and digestion.

DR>> I would therefore translate it as " Development of an informational
DR>> leaflet on the subject of colic at infant and toddler ages."

GK> Then you would limit the meaning again to the colic part. I don't know
GK> how to translate this "regulation disorder" to something medically
GK> meaningful in English. You will probably have to ask a physician (not a
GK> physicist) if there is an English medical term for this.

Well, as far as I know there isn't. I found this on an American site:

 “Do pediatricians call it colic when they don’t know why a baby is hurting?” she asked bluntly. She was right. A gastroenterologist I often work with once confided to me: “Colic is a five-letter word for ‘I don’t know’.

"When an adult hurts, the doctor and patient do some detective work to track down the cause of the pain, so they can fix it. So, I started approaching my evaluation of colicky babies with this in mind. First, I dropped the term “colic” from my diagnosis list and adopted the term “the hurting baby.” Besides being more accurate, this motivated both the parents and myself to keep searching for a cause, and a way to fix it."

If this is the same as what you're referring to, then it does seem as though there is no official term for it - yet!

Unless someone knows better.

David

--
Formerly ICHTHUS (Reading) UK (1987-2007 R.I.P.)  (2:292/854.110)

--- Turnpike/6.07-M (<r29l6WRH69sFVR7OD5l$APmKgC>)
* Origin: news://eljaco.se (2:203/2)