Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 3976 из 12549 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : David Rance                      2:203/2            30 Jun 16 01:00:10
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               30 Jun 16 01:00:10
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+577452fa
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+57742117
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5774eb5d
On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 20:52:14 Michiel van der Vlist -> David Rance wrote:

MvdV>>> Why the delay? If it is known who it will be, why can't he/she
MvdV>>> take office right away?

DR>> Because they have to be elected by the Conservative party and
DR>> elections take time to organise.

MvdV> Yeah, but two month?

Yes, that's the time it takes here, especially with summer holidays in the way.

MvdV>>> Why? I mean why can't parliament decide on it tomorrow?

DR>> Because a lame-duck prime minister cannot now invoke it.

MvdV> Why not? Legally he is still prime minister. He has announced his
MvdV> resignation, but he is still in office. I see no moral objections
MvdV> either. While it is good practice that he makes no new major decisions,
MvdV> this is not a new decision. HJe had already announcde before the
MvdV> referendum that he would set the brexit in motion if that was the
MvdV> outcome of the referendum. So he would merely act on that earlier decision.

But there's no-one to start working out policy. The very reason why Cameron resigned is because it would be wrong for him to appoint people that the next prime minister would have to work with. Nothing, but nothing, can happen until the Conservatives have sorted out who, in their opinion, will be the best person to carry Brexit forward.

MvdV>>> Boris Johnson seems to
MvdV>>> want access to the European economic space, but without the
MvdV>>> "rules from Brussels". To me that sounds like having the rights
MvdV>>> but not the duties. Of course that will never be accepted by
MvdV>>> the EU.

DR>> He's calmed down quite a bit since last Thursday and is now admitting
DR>> that it's not possible to get what he wanted, especially with regard
DR>> to free movement of people. Pity he didn't do so earlier!

MvdV> But how come the British people did noty see that what he proposed was
MvdV> impossible? If I can see that cherry picking for just the benifits
MvdV> won't fly, why can't the people of the UK?

Rhetoric! How could we make up our minds what was or wasn't possible when we were fed so many lies by both sides of the argument. They all sounded plausible. But the Brexit campaigners had the advantage because they were the ones trying to make the changes and when the Remain campaign tried to counter their arguments the Leave campaign accused them of trying to spread fear.

Things just aren't as black and white as you seem to think they should be.

DR>> As I said above, Boris is now admitting that it won't.

MvdV> How is he going to sell it to his constituency?

I've noticed that you've used "constituency" in this context before. An MP's constituency is the small geographical area that elects him or her to parliament. I don't think you mean that here, because, in this context, the constituency is irrelevant. Do you mean his fellow MPs or do you mean the country at large?

DR>> They won't disband. Farage enjoys the limelight too much. They will
DR>> probably now try to become the official opposition party.

MvdV> You have to clearify that. Here opposition is opposition. What makes it
MvdV> official? Or unofficial?

The largest opposition party forms the official Opposition. The leader of that party has the title of Leader of Her Majesty's Opposition and the post carries a higher salary. The Leader of the Opposition forms what is called a Shadow Cabinet and it is exactly that - it shadows members of the government. If you like, it is a kind of government-in-waiting, waiting for the next general election when they hope they are going to win.

Jeremy Corbyn is the Leader of the Opposition. He is in trouble because over forty of his shadow cabinet (which he appointed) have resigned so, effectively, there are now no Opposition spokesmen to challenge the government ministers that they are shadowing.

MvdV>>> Perhaps the UK should never have been in the EU to begin with.

MvdV> The reason I say it because I can't help noticing that the hearts and
MvdV> minds of the people of the UK were never really in it. My first car a
MvdV> FIAT 500, had one of those oval EU stickers. That was mid sixties. They
MvdV> were quit common back then. Now of course we have the nationality and
MvdV> the twelve stars of the EU in the blue rectangle on the plates
MvdV> themselves. Historic lates without the blue rectangles may only be used
MvdV> on historic. I saw the blue rectangle on David Cameron's car. But those
MvdV> plates are rare in the UK. No blue rectangles om the cars of Lewis,
MvdV> Taggert, Barnaby, Lynley and Scott & Baily.

I'll tell you why they don't have them. It's because most British cars never go abroad and therefore they don't need them. You may find that difficult to understand when most people in continental Europe can't drive very far without crossing a national border. Look at the cars in those programmes you've mentioned. None of them even have the oval GB sticker.

If you want EU plates in the UK you have to ask for them. They don't cost any extra. When I bought my present car twelve years ago I had to specifically ask for EU plates as I probably drive more in France than I do in England, and I've taken this car to Germany, Austria, Hungary, Italy, Spain, Belgium and Holland in the twelve years that I've had it. I hate those oval GB stickers. They look messy and there's never an obvious place to put them! My late wife's car - and she was the most Europhile person I've ever met - doesn't have EU plates.

I ordered a new car a few weeks ago but won't take delivery of it until, at the earliest, September. I have already specified that I want EU plates. I suppose I won't get them now! Back to those awful GB stickers! :-(

David
--
David Rance    writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

--- Turnpike/6.07-M (<L55l6qJH69MA5R7OzZo$APYapL>)
* Origin: news://eljaco.se (2:203/2)