Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 3988 из 12549 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : David Rance                      2:203/2            01 Jul 16 11:49:20
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               01 Jul 16 11:49:20
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+57763ca0
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+57750cfe
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+577ae25b
On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 14:09:50 Michiel van der Vlist -> David Rance wrote:

MvdV> Thursday June 30 2016 11:18, I wrote to you:

MV>> [ Johnson ]

MvdV>>>> How is he going to sell it to his constituency?
MvdV> [..]

MV>> I meant the people that voted for leave.

MvdV> Apparently he is not.. :-(

MvdV> So... he realises there is no way he can deliver on his promises,
MvdV> throws the towel in the ring and lets others clean up the mess he made
MvdV> . What a coward!

That's a very simplistic reply! How little you understand politics. I can't believe that things in Holland (sic! I *do* know that it's the Netherlands but in England we call it Holland more often than not. Sorry!) are any different to those in the UK.

No, it's nothing to do with Boris chickening out. I'm sure the whole thing was reported fully in Europe but, if not, here goes:

Before anyone puts themselves up as a candidate in a leadership election, they have to ensure that they have the backing of a critical number of MPs.

Boris was the favourite runner in this leadership election as long as he was supported by his (so-called) friend Michael Gove. Yesterday, Gove, aided and abetted by his journalist wife, Sarah Vine, announced that he would no longer be supporting Boris as he "didn't feel that Boris had leadership qualities", and that he would be standing for the leadership himself. Many of Boris's supporters changed their allegiance to Gove which left Boris with much weakened support. Boris is pragmatic and realised that by continuing as candidate he was going to split the vote so that an outsider would probably get in. So Boris withdrew and is putting his support behind Theresa May who is probably the favourite now. This is called tactical voting. Of course, this is only what people *think* will happen. As we all know, in practice things can turn out very differently.

Tactical voting happens all too often in elections. It's certainly happened in the past in Region 25 elections. Years ago there was a certain NC in the West of England who did a lot of tactical engineering through secret netmails in order to get the result that he "thought would be best for the Fidonet."

Boris isn't finished by any means. He's always had his eye on the leadership but wasn't expecting it to come up for a few more years. Circumstances change and he will, no doubt, be a candidate at the next leadership election, whenever that might be. So, far from throwing in the towel, he will be supporting Theresa May if she gets in and will, no doubt, have a lot of influence in the next government.

You haven't seen the last of Boris Johnson.

(You may wonder why I refer to him as Boris. It's simply that Johnson is a common name in the UK and there are other Johnsons in parliament. "Boris" marks him out as unique and we all know who we are talking about.)

David

--
Formerly ICHTHUS (Reading) UK (1987-2007 R.I.P.)  (2:292/854.110)

--- Turnpike/6.07-M (<rJ3l6qzj69sz7R7Oo5q$APahBq>)
* Origin: news://eljaco.se (2:203/2)