Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 4088 из 12549 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : David Rance                      2:203/2            12 Jul 16 13:33:23
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               12 Jul 16 13:33:23
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5784d580
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5784192a
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555.1+57869f56
On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 23:31:09 Michiel van der Vlist -> David Rance wrote:

MvdV> On Tuesday July 05 2016 15:33, you wrote to me:

DR>> Boris withdrew because he didn't have enough support and,
DR>> rather than split the vote, he withdrew in order that a weak
DR>> candidate should not get in by default. Not only do you not
DR>> understand the situation but, listening to reports from the
DR>> EU parliament this lunchtime, neither do they! They haven't
DR>> a clue (and probably don't care either) how British politics
DR>> works.

MvdV> So maybe they do not understand how Britisch politics works. Would it
MvdV> have helped if they did? If they had understood would they have been
MvdV> able to prevent or stop it? Was it their responsibility to prevent it?
MvdV> Or was thathe job and resposibility of those that DO understand how
MvdV> British politicss works?

When I said about how British politics works I'm referring about this metaphor of "rats leaving a sinking ship" which, if they understood how our politics works they would see that it just doesn't fit! However it is a very cheap and easy way of scoring points.

In attempting to explain British politics, I'm talking about how things will develop from now on, not how we got to this situation in the first place.

However let's take your latest statement that Theresa May's first job as prime minister should be to invoke article 50 immediately on Thursday morning.

Wrong!

David Cameron will go to the Queen late on Wednesday afternoon to tender his resignation and recommend Theresa May as his successor. At that point there ceases to be a government. An hour or so after that, Mrs. May will go to the Palace and the Queen will formally ask her to form a new government. This will take several days as it isn't just a question of writing out a list and pinning it up somewhere. She will interview everyone in person (not by email, text or phone!) who she wants in her government, both Cabinet ministers and junior ministers.

That will take until the weekend. The first meeting of the new cabinet will be held on Wednesday of next week unless it is brought forward. That will be her first opportunity of talking about how to implement Brexit, and that may not necessarily be communicated to the media.

It does seem as though she commands the support of nearly all of her Party so forming a government should not be too difficult. It will be interesting to see whether Boris is offered a job. Although he's been mayor of London he's never had the experience of holding a government post. I wouldn't think that Michael Gove will get a very important post because of the way he stabbed Boris in the back. He's not trustworthy towards his colleagues. So if Boris accepts a government post he will not be "leaving a sinking ship". He would never have won the leadership election at this stage and so being in Mrs May's government would have been the only opportunity to fulfil his intentions as the leader of the Leave campaign. By withdrawing from the election, he wasn't turning his back on Brexit. Do you understand now? I can't make it any plainer!

But, obviously, she is going to form her government very much with Brexit in mind. You need have no worry that Mrs May will renege on the Brexit vote. Even before she was aware that Andrea Leadsom had withdrawn from the contest, she was making a speech in which she said, "Brexit is Brexit", and that she will put all her weight behind the negotiations for leaving the EU. She is being very positive which is why the markets made big gains yesterday.

Why did Andrea Leadsom withdraw from the election? Well, she made an almighty gaff over the weekend by saying in an interview that she felt she was better suited to be prime minister than Theresa May because she had children! This called into question her diplomatic skills and showed her inexperience in dealing with the media! As the media were not going to let it go away, she had little option but to withdraw from the election. At least she was dignified about that.

And is David Cameron another of these "rats"? Well, on the face of it, maybe in part. But when the result was announced he felt that he did not have the confidence of his party, or the media, or, indeed, the country, to continue. He's never been a popular prime minister, indeed he is seen as weak and I think he realises that.  And a measure of his unpopularity was shown at Wimbledon on Sunday when, in his victory speech, Andy Murray referred to the honour of having the prime minister present, a large number of the spectators booed. Unheard of at Wimbledon and very embarrassing.

And Nigel Farage? Well, maybe he is a rat - but he always has been!

David

--
Formerly ICHTHUS (Reading) UK (1987-2007 R.I.P.)  (2:292/854.110)

--- Turnpike/6.07-M (<7hyl6Klz698SaR7O+pi$AP73I7>)
* Origin: news://eljaco.se (2:203/2)