Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 4816 из 12549 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : David Rance                      2:203/2            23 Apr 17 12:12:54
Кому : Robert Bashe                                        23 Apr 17 12:12:54
Тема : Brexit, It giet oan!
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+58fc7e22
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:2448/44+58fc668f
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: ASCII ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+58fce934
On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 10:26:18 Robert Bashe -> David Rance wrote:

DR>> On the face of it, yes, but it's not going to be that simple.

RB> Sorry, David - I meant the "Tories", as they're called in the UK. I'm
RB> just not used to the terminology.

"Tories" and "Conservatives" are used interchangeably. They mean the same thing. You don't see "Conservative" in many headlines because it takes up too much space! (And it's amusing to think that "tory" originally meant "an Irish robber"!)

RB> As to whether the election will be "that simple", who really knows? If
RB> Scotland, London and environs, and Northern Ireland all vote 100%
RB> Labour (see, I spelled it right), Labour might just barely win. But
RB> we'll all have to wait to find out, just as in France today (Sunday).

Well, there has been one fly in the ointment these last few days for the Conservatives. The somewhat inexperienced Philip Hammond (inexperienced with handling the press, at least), has put his foot in it by appearing to imply that the Tories will not stick to promises regarding pensions in the new manifesto, and Mrs. May, while seeking to defuse the situation by saying that the Tories are the party of low taxation, has not actually confirmed that they will stick to old manifesto promises regarding pensions. Of course the other parties have been quick to pounce on this. According to one poll organisation this has immediately halved the Tory lead! The other polls were done on Thursday before Hammond made his gaff. So it's still all very volatile and by no means a foregone conclusion. I think many of us will be feeling very sea-sick by the time polling day arrives.

(And I appreciate your spelling of "Labour"!) :-)

MvdV>>> Looks like it, but we all know that the outcome of elections are
MvdV>>> very hard to predict these days...

DR>> It's about time that those conducting these polls admitted that
DR>> "lessons will have to be learned."

RB> Very true. But people will never cease to hope for a "sign of things to
RB> come" in advance.

I meant that the pollsters should admit that they hadn't necessarily polled the right people. But of course, we all know that you can make polls say anything you want simply by polling the "right" people!!

David

--
Formerly ICHTHUS (Reading) UK (1987-2007 R.I.P.)  (2:292/854.110)

--- Turnpike/6.07-M (<vm1l6WwD69sXVQ7OC9n$AfmrGJ>)
* Origin: news://eljaco.se (2:203/2)