Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 4995 из 12549 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : David Rance                      2:203/2            12 Jun 17 16:58:00
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               12 Jun 17 16:58:00
Тема : The future of Mrs May.
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+593eabf8
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+593e8636
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: ASCII ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+593eef67
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 13:44:12 Michiel van der Vlist -> David Rance wrote:

MvdV> On Monday June 12 2017 11:24, you wrote to me:

MvdV>>>>> I expect Theresa May will announce her resignation as PM
MvdV>>>>> before the end of the month.

MvdV>>> Frankly, I do not understand why she didn't resign right after
MvdV>>> the election.

DR>> I don't understand you. You are not consistent. When David Cameron
DR>> resigned after the Brexit referendum you said that he should have
DR>> stayed on to execute the Will of the People. So why don't you say the
DR>> same for Theresa May?

MvdV> There is no inconsistency. What I think should happen and what I expect
MvdV> what will actually happen are two different things. Before the
MvdV> referendum David Cameron said he would stay on and follow the will of
MvdV> of the people when Brexit would be the outcome of the referendum. And
MvdV> so that is what he should have done. But I was not at all suprised when
MvdV> did not follow up on that and resigned anyway. It was to be expected.

There you contradict yourself again. David Cameron was against Brexit yet you say, simply because he made an ill-advised promise to stay on come what may, that he should have stayed.

MvdV> Regarding the "should" of Theresa May, she should never hever been PM
MvdV> in the first place. She was against Brexit. That made here not the
MvdV> right person to lead the Brexit negotiations. Someone who was in favour
MvdV> of Brexit should have been in the driver's seat.

The only Brexit people who were leadership candidates effectively  put themselves out of the running because of disloyalty, back-stabbing and, frankly, immature behaviour. I don't see why Theresa May, as an experienced politician, couldn't take decisions for the opposite point of view, especially as she would be advised by pro-Brexit people. The difference between May and Cameron is that he was the figurehead behind the Remain campaign and she was not. In fact, she was not outspoken on the subject at all during the Referendum campaign, so much so that people accused her of sitting on the fence. To my mind, she could see the arguments on both sides. (Actually Boris could see the arguments for both sides: he just decided, for his own political reasons, to adopt Brexit.)

DR>> There is no appetite for a leadership election in the Conservative
DR>> party at the moment. Go back to the leadership election that took
DR>> place after David Cameron resigned and you'll see what I mean.

MvdV> There may be no appetite, but if Theresa May loses the support of her
MvdV> inner circle, her position will become untenable and she will have to
MvdV> resign anyway.

If there is no appetite then those of her colleagues, who would otherwise challenge her for the leadership, won't.

And the Great British Public, who have had two general elections and a referendum within the space of two years, certainly don't want another election, which will also be borne in mind by those who would try to unseat her. It isn't compulsory to vote in general elections as it is in, say, Australia, so the outcome of yet another general election would be even more uncertain. That's why, assuming a deal is done with the DUP, she will be kept in office for the time being until things have settled down.

DR>> Although the election result turned on Theresa May's domestic policies
DR>> as set out in the manifesto, there are many that feel that the Brexit
DR>> negotiations will now benefit from Mrs. May's "wings having been
DR>> clipped". She will now have to listen more to the advice of her
DR>> colleagues and back-benchers.

MvdV> Be that as it may be, what you and many others seem to forget is that
MvdV> the UK will not be the only one at the Brexit negiotiation table. On
MvdV> the other side will be the EU representing the 27 remaining states that
MvdV> all have wishes of their own. What the UK wants or does not want won't
MvdV> make much of a difference. It will be the EU that determines the
MvdV> agenda, not the UK.

Don't be silly! Of course we haven't forgotten that. You talk as though there is nothing to negotiate. If there's nothing to negotiate then why are there going to be negotiations? There is plenty to talk about.

David

--
Formerly ICHTHUS (Reading) UK (1987-2007 R.I.P.)  (2:292/854.110)

--- Turnpike/6.07-M (<Do9l6uZL69MR9T7OiRp$AvcLtA>)
* Origin: news://eljaco.se (2:203/2)