Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 5001 из 12549 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : David Rance                      2:203/2            13 Jun 17 12:28:34
Кому : Robert Bashe                                        13 Jun 17 12:28:34
Тема : The future of Mrs May.
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+593fbe4e
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:2448/44+593f94e3
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: ASCII ==================================
On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 09:18:58 Robert Bashe -> David Rance wrote:

RB> David Rance wrote to Robert Bashe on Monday June 12 2017 at 11:26:

RB>>> I see reports of English citizens applying for Irish, Belgian, German
RB>>> and even French dual citizenship just in case - which is probably not
RB>>> a bad idea if it is possible.

DR>> I haven't heard that. However someone did ask me yesterday whether I
DR>> had any Irish blood in me so that I could apply for an Irish passport.
DR>> So that's what he was referring to!

RB> Probably. It seems that even if you have even _one_ grandparent who was
RB> Irish, you can claim Irish citizenship. I think I might do that, too -
RB> just for fun- except all my ancestors were German Bohemians (Czech or
RB> German plus American), and so I have no chance.

DR>> But no, I'm English through and through.

RB> Check your ancestory. If you're lucky, one of your ancestors was Irish.
RB> Just in case, it might be possible for you to get a dual citizenship.

I'm afraid not. I've constructed quite an extensive family tree. On my father's side I can go back to my great-grandfather (who, incidentally, will celebrate his two hundredth birthday next year!) who was definitely English, as was his wife. My mother's line included a great-grandfather who was born in Yorkshire and then came down south to live. Other ancestors come from the West country (Somerset).

The only Irish connection is that one of my brothers married a girl whose maternal grandparents were Irish - and I think that her mother was born in Ireland. So my nephews and niece might qualify, but not me!

My late wife thought that her maternal grandfather was French but when we were building up the family tree we realised that he was English but had spent some time in France. It didn't help that he'd lost his papers and so wasn't able to prove anything at the time.

RB> You don't lose your British citizenship that way, as dual citizenship
RB> among EU citizens is currently allowed.

RB> In fact, if things haven't changed since the 1980s, you can't lose your
RB> British citizenship even if you want to. I had a business colleague who
RB> was born in the UK, became an American citizen (requiring renouncement
RB> of all other citizenships), then returned to the UK and applied for a
RB> new UK passport, which was granted without question.

That's useful to know - not that I'm thinking of changing my citizenship. I do spend quite a bit of time at our French house but not enough to be able to claim dual citizenship. Not even enough time to be able to vote in their local elections!

David

--
David Rance    writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

--- Turnpike/6.07-M (<TE5l6eLb69M0cT7O0Rl$AvtZqG>)
* Origin: news://eljaco.se (2:203/2)