Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 4086 из 12549 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Gerrit Kuehn                     2:240/12           14 Jul 16 18:38:46
Кому : David Rance                                         14 Jul 16 18:38:46
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:240/12+574b401e
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5786bc42
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: LATIN-1 ================================
Hello David!

14 Jul 16 00:10, David Rance wrote to Gerrit Kuehn:

GK>> Maybe my memory is faulty, but wasn't it especially the UK being
GK>> eager to get in cheap working force from the new EU countries back in
GK>> 2004? UK was deliberately opening their labour market to them as early
GK>> as possible.

DR> That wasn't government policy. It was to do with taskmasters making
DR> use of the "free borders" to employ gangs of cheap labourers from
DR> Eastern Europe whom they paid very little and kept in appalling
DR> conditions. Nothing at all to do with the UK "being eager" to take
DR> them.

Germany took a much slower opening of the labour market, and this was all political decisions. I really doubt that British taskmasters could decide on that on their own without political backing and corresponding legislation.

DR> When I was a little boy some seventy years ago, I can remember
DR> distinctly my first sight of a black African because there were so
DR> few of them. Then from the 1960s onwards we have had a steady flow of
DR> Indians, Pakistanis, Africans, West Indians, among others to the
DR> point where my own home town of High Wycombe, in a generation, has an
DR> immigrant population as great, if not greater, than the native
DR> population.

Sounds a bit like a late fallout of the Commonwealth.

DR> This can be multiplied throughout the UK. As I said in a
DR> in the EU.

Um... no. Higher densities are in

Malta
Netherlands
Belgium

Then comes Britain, closely followed by Germany.

DR> Little wonder that we want to get our immigration rate
DR> down.

You will have all chances to do that, soon. I already have a couple of colleagues who are very unsure about their future now: they either work in Britain or come from there.

GK>> When thinking about UK and economic decline, poor people and such, I
GK>> am more reminded of the 1970ies and 1980ies, especially Margaret
GK>> Thatcher and her politics that willingly allowed for social
GK>> inequality, crushed the unions and so on.

DR> She crushed the miners' unions because they were holding the country
DR> to ransom with unreasonable strikes for higher and higher wages which
DR> contributed to high inflation.

She (well, of course not she alone; politicians and other people in that time) deliberately fostered social inequality and practically de-industrialised the country. Focused everything on services, banking... Worked ok for Greater London for a couple of years, but turns out to be rather fragile these days.

GK>> I don't understand you at all here: UK is hardly taking any refugees
GK>> compared to many other EU countries. The foreign workers you have
GK>> were invited, you wanted them as soon as possible. So what is this
GK>> "flow of immigrants" you want to reduce?

DR> Ever heard of "The Jungle" outside Calais? That was a camp where
DR> illegal immigrants were staying so that they could try to make their
DR> way across the Channel and into England. I've seen them myself trying
DR> to get on to trucks bound for England.

Ever compared the numbers of people there to camps in southern Europe?

DR> David Cameron promised in his manifesto to get immigration, both
DR> legal and illegal, down to below 100,000 per year.
DR> He failed. And that's the reason that there was a majority in favour
DR> of Brexit.

DR> But, like Michiel, I don't suppose you're going to believe me, so
DR> I'll save my breath.

I believe every word you say. But I think the vote turned out as it did for two reasons:
1. Cameron promised things he could not keep, although he tried.
2. Brexiters promised even more things they very well knew they never could keep.

Regards,
Gerrit

--- Msged/BSD 6.2.0
* Origin: And the pastiche we've invented (2:240/12)