Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 27 Sep 24 12:04:58, всего сообщений: 12555
= Сообщение: 3335 из 12555 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Robert Bashe                     2:2448/44          14 Jan 16 10:57:44
Кому : Gerrit Kuehn                                        14 Jan 16 10:57:44
Тема : Translation please
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:2448/44+56977153
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:240/12+567fad85
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:240/12+567fad8a
Gerrit Kuehn wrote to Joe Delahaye on Wednesday January 13 2016 at 19:53:

JD>> Der Projektstrukur- und Ablaufplan am Beispiel eines
JD>> studienbegleitenden Projekts.

GK> Oh my. Do you want a literal translation, or something more free (I
GK> like the English word "to interpret" much better than "to translate",
GK> btw :-)?

Things are a bit more complicated.

Translation is when someone with a command of both the original and target languages _writes_ his/her interpretation of the original language in the target language. This need not be - and often is not - a literal translation, since there are frequently local or national terms or turns of speech that cannot be literally translated, and in that case must be re-written in the target language to make the sense of the original understandable to a foreign reader. For a simple example, a German says he's "blue" when he's drunk. An American says he's "blue" when he's sad or melancholic.

A translator generally has plenty of time to "polish" a translation and perfect the meaning in the target language, since everything is in written form.

Interpretation is, on the other hand, verbal, either simultaneous - in which the interpreter listens to the original and speaks in the target language (an extremely difficult and exhausting job that can only be performed by experts, and even then only for a limited number of hours) - or consecutive, in which the interprter waits for the frequent pauses in the original language and then speaks the target language equivalent. Only when the interpreter finishes does the person speaking the original language continue. This is much easier than simultaneous interpretation. But interpretation is, and must be (for lack of time) less exact than translation.

GK> "Work breakdown structure and project schedule using the example of a
GK> course-related project"

Sounds like something translated by Google. Except for the spelling, "Projekt" in German is the same in English. And "Struktur" in German can be translated variously, depending on the context. In this case, I would prefer "schedule". And there's a major difference between a course and a study (which consists of several courses = parts or sections of a study). These are the kind of things a professional translator must know. As I've discovered several times in my life, it's simply not enough to be able to speak two languages in order to translate between them, much less interpret between them. It takes a great deal of practice in addition to the language capabilities.

Cheers, Bob

--- GoldED+/W32 1.1.5-0613
* Origin: Jabberwocky System - 02363-56073 ISDN/V34 (2:2448/44)