Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 4754 из 12549 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Robert Bashe                     2:2448/44          16 Apr 17 11:54:40
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               16 Apr 17 11:54:40
Тема : Brexit, It giet oan!
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:2448/44+58f34245
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+58f0be0d
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:292/854+e1052402
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+58f3fe0d
Michiel van der Vlist wrote to Robert Bashe on Friday April 14 2017 at 13:59:

WD>>> I rather see the desintegration of the UK. Scotland (with its oil
WD>>> and gas industry) declaring independance would seriously weaken the
WD>>> UK economy,

RB>> It would, but isn't possible without an all-out war. Legally it's
RB>> impossible, as Westminister has to approve any further secession
RB>> vote, and certainly doesn't plan to do that until the BREXIT
RB>> negotiations are finished, at least that's what Ms. May has said. And
RB>> sinc a plebiscite in Scotland would toprpedo any negotiation
RB>> advantage she might have, she'll probably stick to that point.

MV> That may be the point of Ms May, but she is not the only party
MV> concerned. If Scotland really wants out of the UK, than that is what
MV> will happen, one way or another. The legal requirement of needing
MV> formal approval from Westminster will not stop it. It never does. The
MV> King of England refusing his fiat to the independence of what is now
MV> the US did not stop the declaration of independance either.

I wasn't aware that the UK and the USA were connected by large land borders. Thank you for this insight.

MV> If Scotland - or Wales or Ulster - really wants out of the UK, then
MV> that is what will happen, wether Ms May likes it or not.

Ms. May is not a dictator, whatever you may think. She has parliament (both houses) to consider and the law of the land. It's not her choice to abdicate Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

WD>>> Heathrow's importance will be scaled-back, maybe Wales will get
WD>>> ideas to break away from the UK and join the Union. And the people
WD>>> in Ulster don't want a hard border as there used to be some decades
WD>>> ago ...

RB>> Those are about as likely as other EU countries, tired of having
RB>> their internal affairs dictated by bureaucrats in Brussels, deciding
RB>> to leave the EU behind them as the UK plans to.

MV> So why is Texas still part of the US?

Maybe you missed it, but they seceeded from the Union during the Civil War ;-)

Very few battles were fought in Texas during that period, however. And in the meantime, Texas has become so rich in oil and gas, and so independent in it's politics, that it has no real reason to want out again. Remember "states rights"?

MV> They are a net contributor aren't they?

In terms of income taxes perhaps, but less so than California.

MV> Why do'n't the people in Texas get tired of Washington neddling in
MV> their interbal affairs.

Because Washington has it's own limits and doesn't do that. The constitution is still the law of the land.

MV> Why does Silicon Valley not step out of California? Thety are net
MV> contributors to the almost bankruopt state of California are they?

So how would they go about that? Dig a trench between the valley and the rest of California?

WD>>> The loser in all this will be the ordinary small people in the UK,
WD>>> they will suffer.

RB>> Don't we always?

MV> "we"? Since when are "we" the small people in the UK?

The term "we" - I don't suppose you noticed - was based on Ward's comment that the "orfinary small people" will suffer. And as far as BREXIT is concerned, I think we in the rump-EU have as much to be concerned about that as those in the UK.

Cheers, Bob

--- GoldED+/W32 1.1.5-0613
* Origin: Jabberwocky System - 02363-56073 ISDN/V34 (2:2448/44)