Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 4765 из 12549 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Robert Bashe                     2:2448/44          17 Apr 17 11:32:24
Кому : Ward Dossche                                        17 Apr 17 11:32:24
Тема : Brexit, It giet oan!
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:2448/44+58f48ea4
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:292/854+a4051458
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:240/12+58716e30
Ward Dossche wrote to Robert Bashe on Sunday April 16 2017 at 14:39:

RB>> (some countries even have multiple cultures inside their own borders,
RB>> like Belgium)

WD> We do?

Are you unaware that there are Flemish, French and German cultures in Belgium? We even have such things in Germany, with the large Turkish minority. Never saw a mosque here until around 5-6 years ago.

RB>> Hungary and Poland are only the beginning.

WD> None of these have any realistic plans for leaving...

Yet. And certainly not as long as they can do as they please internally and still rake in EU money. But, as Michiel says, "nothing is forever". And in this case, I'd tend to believe him.

RB>> Not YET.

WD> None will, it's their only shot at being meaningful at the global
WD> level or drop to levels of Zimbabwe.

Hungary, Poland and Greece - to mention but a few - meaningful at the _global_ level? I knew you had a good sense of humor, but don't you think this is carrying things too far?

RB>> And the other would have been to realize that the UK had a problem
RB>> and try to fix it within the framework of the EU. But nobody really
RB>> tried that.

WD> UK politics are still conducted as in the 1930's when Britain zas some
WD> kind of a world power, diminishing, but still. After WW2 they were
WD> just a simple country in Europe, like so many others.

With nuclear weapons and the capability of delivering them. Maybe Kim Jung Un is right after all. I certainly wouldn't count the UK out yet - but I'm not so certain about the Eurozone, to say nothing about the EU itself.

The upcoming French elections will be interesting. For the first time, the FN has a real chance.

RB>> And London. What you describe is the setting up of branches in EU
RB>> cities, through which business can continue as usual.

WD> No, Bob, international traders doing business out of London are ready
WD> to relocate, I've got friends working in London and 2-3 years from now
WD> the trading floors will have shifted. My bet is Frankfurt.

Maybe, but Frankfurt is already such a mess that a few new businesses won't hurt. I keep wondering when they are going to convert the ECB into a museum.

RB>> ;-) Can they? Anyway, I never really got used to shifting with my
RB>> left hand when I was in Sough Africa.

WD> I loved it in Ireland, though I'll admit I have scared the shit out of
WD> some people by driving on the right hand side of the street and
WD> negotiating a roundabout on the right side. 8-)

I still remember the time I first did a left turn on a highway in South Africa, and instinctively landed on the right side of the road afterwards. Luckily there was no oncoming traffic.

Cheers, Bob

--- GoldED+/W32 1.1.5-0613
* Origin: Jabberwocky System - 02363-56073 ISDN/V34 (2:2448/44)