Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 4901 из 12549 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Robert Bashe                     2:2448/44          08 May 17 19:12:04
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               08 May 17 19:12:04
Тема : French election
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:2448/44+5910aa88
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555.1+5910963e
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555.1+5910c631
Michiel van der Vlist wrote to Robert Bashe on Monday May 08 2017 at 17:47:

RB>> We still have BREXIT and Greece,

MV> Bexit is a done deal.

You think. We'll know more in two years.

MV> And Greece is out of the red numbers.

You must be kidding. They've just negotiated still another bailout, with no light at the end of the tunnel. They're happy just to pay the interest on their debt.

RB>> not to mention the shaky economy of Italy and the refugee problem.

MV> "Shaky economy" is a relative notion. Compared to some non EU
MV> countries it in top shape,

You're comparing it to Zimbabwe ;-)

MV> And the refugee problem is manageable.

Sure, sure... just like it was managed last year. With fences at borders and a deal with the Turks, which may not hold up. And NO agreement on distribution of the refugees. But you can breathe easy... most of them want to come to Germany.

MV> The refugee problem predates the EU...

Sure, the avalanche really started in 2015.

MV> ... and disolving the EU will not make it go away.

True enough, sonce there's no consensus within the EU now as to what to do.

RB>> Plus the ECB's zero percent interest rate, which is causing not only
RB>> savers to hoard cash, rather than invest it at zero percent interest,
RB>> but is now leading to explosions in bank fees for all sorts of
RB>> things, since the banks can't earn enough anymore by investing the
RB>> money of their depositors.

MV> Again: this is is not an EU specific problem.

This IS an EU specific problem. No Eurozone country can manage it's own currency, devaluing it to increase exports or raising the value to prevent runaway inflation. The ECB runs _everything_, from Germany to Greece and all get the same deal, regardless of the strength of their economy and regardless of how badly they need to adjust the value of their currency.

The Greeks would like a soft Euro, the Germans a hard currency. The interest rate in Germany is too low, but raising it would harm the southern European countries. Trying to live with a common currency without economic harmonization is a losing battle, as we see.

MV> Individual countries would have similar problems if the EU did not
MV> exist.

You mean the Eurozone, and the problems would be more manageable if the Euro did not exist and each country could manage it's own currency according to it's needs. Europe did much better with the ECU, which was pegged to the various currencies but allowed individual nations to determine their own monetary policy.

RB>> We haven't seen the last of the EU crises yet.

MV> Life sucks and in the end you die.

True, but in the meantime we all have to muddle on.

Cheers, Bob

--- GoldED+/W32 1.1.5-0613
* Origin: Jabberwocky System - 02363-56073 ISDN/V34 (2:2448/44)