Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 4948 из 12549 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Robert Bashe                     2:2448/44          12 May 17 10:38:14
Кому : Ward Dossche                                        12 May 17 10:38:14
Тема : French election
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:2448/44+591576d3
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:292/854+a4040421
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Ward Dossche wrote to Robert Bashe on Thursday May 11 2017 at 11:14:

WD>> The "local authorities" were the "Ottoman occupiers", not the Greeks.

RB>> That's like saying the "local authorities" in anciant times were the
RB>> Roman "occupiers" of Gaul, not the French.

RB>> Greece was part of the Ottoman Empire at the time.

WD> It was a military occupied territory, the Greeks never accepted it and
WD> when they had the opportunity and (finally) support, overthrew the
WD> oppressor.

Like the Gauls, who later became the French. But what came later had no effect on the situation at the time.

WD> Occupied Netherlands, Belgium and France were never part of the "Third
WD> Reich" ... it's the same.

No it's not. They were never annexed. Greece was part of the Ottoman Empire.

WD> You were wrong on the date of the explosion, on the date of the Greek
WD> Revolutionary war and on the reason why the artworks were stolen.

I stated no dates. And I dispute your presumption regarding the transportation of the Elgin Marbles to the UK. As already mentioned, the local authorities agreed to this at the time it occurred - it would have been easy enough to prevent it, given the bulk and weight of the marbles. But permission was given.

WD>>> How many times have you been to Greece to visually see for yourself
WD>>> what the condition is of several sites?

RB>> Around 4-5 times in earlier years. How about you?

WD> 10-12 I guess. Always liked the country. Worked with Elliniki Etairi
WD> in Athens which was remarkable ... put a shovel in the ground and it's
WD> an excavation ... anywhere.

I liked the country, too, even when I visited it during the time it was ruled by the military. I can still remember the coins at that time, with a standing soldier on the obverse.

WD>>> My source is my friend professor Michael Scoullos from the
WD>>> university of Athens who guided me around on several occasions.

RB>> And is "naturally" neutral on the subject, which we should now drop,
RB>> as we're not going to solve anything. Think what you like, and I'll
RB>> do the same.

WD> Michael is absolutely neutral, he didn't even mention the Elgin
WD> Marbles.

So there we have it.

WD> But he took me to the phosphate mines outside Athens where slaves were
WD> put in a tunnel in a gigantic pit. They were worked to death and then
WD> replaced by another slave. It gave a complete different perspective on
WD> Hellenic culture.

Were you really surprised? The Romans had more slaves then Roman citizens, and they tried to imitate the Greeks where they could. Slavery has only become a no-no in fairly modern times, but was quite normal in the ancient world.

Cheers, Bob

--- GoldED+/W32 1.1.5-0613
* Origin: Jabberwocky System - 02363-56073 ISDN/V34 (2:2448/44)