Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 5246 из 12549 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Robert Bashe                     2:2448/44          21 Aug 17 10:26:30
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               21 Aug 17 10:26:30
Тема : Swedish meatballs ...
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:2448/44+599a9dd9
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5998b8af
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+599c2454
Michiel van der Vlist wrote to Robert Bashe on Saturday August 19 2017 at 23:44:

RB>> Without help, a native German can't pronounce "Bashe" as it is
RB>> pronounced in the States, The "a" is a dipthong", and the "e" is
RB>> silent.

RB>> When in Rome... you know the old saying.

MV> If you had follewed that you would have changed the spelling so that
MV> the Germans pronounce is as spelled. Somethmng like "BДsh ?

Why should I? Incidentally, the German Umlaut "a" is too short for proper pronunciation. I could as well spell my name "Besch". That would be wrong, too, but not as bad as your example.

I just pronounce the name like it's spelled, but in German. No need to change anything, and most people get it right on the phone. I only occasionally still have to spell the name nowadays. And remember, my name has no national alphabet letters. Nor does yours. That makes things a lot easier.

MV> Who is "Bjoern"? I do not know any "Bjoern".

Better take that up with him, then. He still thinks the Swedish "o" will be understood and written/properly pronounced throught the world.

RB>> But in view of your rigorous attitude regarding "Holland" (used by
RB>> most people) and "The Netherlands", I suppose your defence was
RB>> inevitable.

MV> I am getting very tired of this continued insistance of using ASCII
MV> only in Fiodonet. 17 years after the start of the 3rd millenium there
MV> is no excuse for it any more.

Except for the fact that much of the software still in use is designed for that. I still try to write for the lowest common denominator, i.e. people who have older software. If you want to be understood, you'll do the same.

RB>> What do you call yourself, then? A "Netherlander", "Dutchman",
RB>> "Hollander", a "NLer" or something else? I think we all now in ther
RB>> meantime where your are, but in view of your attitude it's sometimes
RB>> hard to know how to refer to you.

MV> I very seldom call myself. I leave it to others to call me.

Nice try. You avoid an answer very elegantly.

MV> But for your information the name of my country is "Nederland" and its
MV> citizens are called "Nederlanders". The English for "Nederland" is
MV> "The Netherlands" sometimes shortened on the shirts as "Netherlands".

So what are you? Dutch (which should be an even greater insult - you are presumably familiar with the derivation), a Hollander, a Netherlander (already quite a mouthful) or a  Nederlander? "Dutch" is surely the most common in English - and for you presumably the most insulting term, being a variety of "Deutsch" (German).

RB>> Cheers, Bob (&%%'*;;?=)?) That's Tatchikistan for "Bashe" ;-)

MV> No. it is not.

How do you know? Do you speak Tatchikastan? ;-)

RB>> Happy now?

MV> No.

Sorry, but both you and Bjoern will have to live with the facts of life.

Cheers, Bob

--- GoldED+/W32 1.1.5-0613
* Origin: Jabberwocky System - 02363-56073 ISDN/V34 (2:2448/44)