Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 05 Jul 24 12:03:09, всего сообщений: 12525
= Сообщение: 5478 из 12525 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Robert Bashe                     2:2448/44          17 Sep 17 10:22:00
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               17 Sep 17 10:22:00
Тема : Hier zie ...
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:2448/44+59be312a
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+59bd64cd
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Michiel van der Vlist wrote to Robert Bashe on Saturday September 16 2017 at 19:37:

MV>>> At age 14, I was trained to help my father start the Cub. He at the
MV>>> prop, I at the controls.

RB>> Interesting... the Cub must have been a forerunner of the Piper Colt
RB>> I learned to fly during my graduate school years in Boston. The Colt
RB>> had an electric starter.

MV> The Piper Colt is an entirely different aircraft than the Cub...

I didn't realize the Cub was so spartan. Never saw one myself. The Colt had an electric starter and no stick, just a half wheel and rudder pedals. It also had flaps, which were usally only run out on starts and landings. I think the body was aluminum rather than fabric, but at this distance in time can't really say for sure. The seats were side by side, and there ware controls in front of both seats. I don't remember whether there were back seats, but I don't think so.

MV> Pity I never got around to getting a license myself...

I didn't either. Got a lifetime radio license (for the States) and flew quite a bit solo - not withoug problems, as I once landed on the wrong runway near Boston. Luckily there was no other traffic and the tower was forgivng; I was not penalized.

But the problem of flying curves around a straight strech of railroad was (for me) unsurmountable. I nevwer could get used to flying when there was a crosswind. All in all, I acquired maybe 50 hours solo, but at that point gave up, mainly because I wanted to get my doctorate and had to spend most of my time in the chemistry lab. But also because I didn't really like flying. I never got used to the steep turns and the feeling that nothing but air was beneath me. The fact that I was so busy navigating that I didn't have time to admire the scenery also played a role.

Cheers, Bob

--- GoldED+/W32 1.1.5-0613
* Origin: Jabberwocky System - 02363-56073 ISDN/V34 (2:2448/44)