Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 20 Sep 24 12:02:56, всего сообщений: 12550
= Сообщение: 6487 из 12550 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Robert Bashe                     2:2448/44          06 Jun 18 16:27:18
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               06 Jun 18 16:27:18
Тема : DNS Problems
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:2448/44+5b17ef55
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5b17b885
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5b1916ed
Michiel van der Vlist wrote to Dieter Schauf on Wednesday June 06 2018 at 12:33:

MV> Forgive me for getting this off my chest:

I would have been grateful for just a bit more understanding of my situation and the speed with which things were happening.

MV> Bob, it really would have helped if you had given us ALL the
MV> information that was asked for. You were asked if the IP given by the
MV> host name was indeed your actual IP.

Which I had no way of knowing. The IP I was getting remained the same for over three days (I thought very unusual, but had no reason to doubt it), and both it and the DNS alias could be successfully pinged. But the system was not reachable with a poll. What would you have liked to hear? I mentioned the IP several times.

MV> I asked you for the output of IPconfig.

Not that I noticed.

MV> Someone else asked you for the output of netstat.

True, but the output was very voluminous, and I had no way of simply copying it to send. My system runs under OS/2, and the copy and insert commands don't necessariuly work the same as in Windows. And to be frank, I was in no mood to try copying the output, running from one computer to the other and copying by memory. You seem to assume I had several perfectly calm helpers here to do things for me. I didn't. I was trying everything I could think of and everything that was suggested, hoping one of the suggestions would help.

In the end, Dieter was the one who really helped - not too surprising, as he also is familiar with OS/2 and had helped me set up my original DNS alias -> IP in the first place. He went to a great deal of trouble to help me.

MV> When asking for help in solving  problems like this it really helps if
MV> you supply ALL the information. Not just the parts that you consider
MV> relevant.

I think that if such a problem again arises, you should personally get into your car and come here to be absolutely sure that YOU get everything you think you need. That might even solve the problem.

But such recriminations after the fact are both unrealistic and impolite. Thank Dieter, as I do, and leave things at that.

Cheers, Bob

--- GoldED+/W32 1.1.5-0613
* Origin: Jabberwocky System - 02363-56073 ISDN/V34 (2:2448/44)