Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 20 Sep 24 12:02:56, всего сообщений: 12550
= Сообщение: 6541 из 12550 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Robert Bashe                     2:2448/44          07 Jun 18 15:19:46
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               07 Jun 18 15:19:46
Тема : DNS Problems
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:2448/44+5b193612
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5b1916ed
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5b1c538d
Michiel van der Vlist wrote to Robert Bashe on Thursday June 07 2018 at 13:12:

RB>> I would have been grateful for just a bit more understanding of my
RB>> situation and the speed with which things were happening.

MV> Maybe I overreacted. I am once again reminded of why I avoided a
MV> career in teaching. I lose my patience when people do not understand
MV> things that I consider basic and when I am witheld information that
MV> couls have solved a problem much quicker...

You have a very short fuse, Michiel. I know that and try to make allowances, but when I'm in such a nasty situation as I was during the past few days, my fuse isn't very long either.

MV> That was the IP that the host name resolved to. What we needed wat the
MV> actual IP number used by your system. You could have obtained that by:

MV> 1) Entering the setup of your router and find the WAN IP address.

Identical to what I stated.

MV> 2) Surf to whatsmyip.com.

What do you think I did? Same IP.

MV> 3) Connect with binkd to my system or that of someone eles, so that
MV> your actual IP could be gleened from the callee's log.

That would have been easy if you had bothered to contact Uli Schroeter. He's my echomail uplink and anything I wrote and reached you during the problematic time was sent to him. But it would not have occurred to me to doubt an IP that was displayed everytime I tried to determiner it. You also never mentioned this possibility before this. I naturally could have tried to send you a crashmail if you had expressed the wish.

RB>> And to be frank, I was in no mood to try copying the output, running
RB>> from one computer to the other and copying by memory.

MV> So then you shift the burden to the ones you call on for help?

Right! I also didn't send you my hard disk for analysis. Sorry about that ;-/

RB>> You seem to assume I had several perfectly calm helpers here to do

MV> No, I assumed that you had some basic knowledge of networking and how
MV> your own setup was configured. An error obviously..

The Germans call such a remark "ueberheblich". In English you would be termed a "know-it-all". You certainly have a lot to learn before you can deal with others on a civilized basis.

RB>> In the end, Dieter was the one who really helped - not too
RB>> surprising, as he also is familiar with OS/2 and had helped me set up
RB>> my original DNS alias -> IP in the first place. He went to a great
RB>> deal of trouble to help me.

MV> Well kudos for Dieter. He obviously is a better teacher than I.

For one, he doesn't put people down who fail to supply what _he_ considers necessary. Instead, he researches himself to familiarize himself with a problem. And for another, he helped me set up the DNS alias - IP system I use to begin with. Thus, he was already fairly knowledgeable with my system - and without putting me down invested a great amount of his time to help me solve the problem. I appreciate that greatly.

I think you are technically adroit, well above my level - but your capacity for human interaction leaves a great deal to be desired, and can often cause misunderstandings and irritations that didn't have to occur given just a bit more empathy. I doubt if you care to be called an idiot, or see words to that effect, if you don't happen to _immediately_ grasp a concept. So why do you think others should calmly accept such criticism coming from you?

RB>> I think that if such a problem again arises, you should personally
RB>> get into your car and come here to be absolutely sure that YOU get
RB>> everything you think you need. That might even solve the problem.

MV> Only to find out that it had been a waste of time and petrol and that
MV> the problem cold have been solved before I got the car out of the
MV> driveway if only you I had that very basic but essential peace of
MV> information...

You mean if I were you instead of being who I am. That answer was no answer, merely a new attempt to put me down, which I do NOT appreciate.

MV> Nah, next time I will just press the next key...

That might be the best idea if all you have to offer is criticism instead of constructive suggestions.

Cheers, Bob

--- GoldED+/W32 1.1.5-0613
* Origin: Jabberwocky System - 02363-56073 ISDN/V34 (2:2448/44)