Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 20 Sep 24 12:02:56, всего сообщений: 12550
= Сообщение: 6735 из 12550 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Robert Bashe                     2:2448/44          15 Jun 18 14:48:04
Кому : All                                                 15 Jun 18 14:48:04
Тема : Buzz words
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:2448/44+5b23ba1a
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5b23c7d9
I wonder if anyone else has noticed the prevalence of the terms "climate change" and "tsunami" in news reports and even general conversation.

"Tsunami" is the simplest to explain. Nobody talked about this much before the catastrophic 2004 earthquake and tsunami in indonesia. Now it seems that every seismographic squiggle elicits a loud cry "beware of tsunamis".

As for "climate change", after the discovery of the so-called "ozone hole" in the antarctic and the panic reactions, blaming everything from human farting through automobiles to chlorofluorinated propellents for deoderants (as if there were no such thing as natural climate changes and volcanos spewing huge amounts of so-called greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere), practically everything in the way of bad weather is now blamed on "climate change", which "naturally" is human-produced.

To me, this seems like ants running around their nest after someone has stepped on it and wondering how _they_ caused the damage. But that's beside the point. "Famed" scientists - with an eye to their research budgets - have convinced most of the developed country populations that ONLY human effects could POSSIBLY be to "blame" for whatever comes, be it high water, heavy rains, flooding or icebergs. Sometimes makes you wonder what humans _haven't_ screwed up over the last century or so - a mere instant in geological time, a fact that is mostly ignored in emotional discussions. People tend to confuse "climate" (long term) with "weather" (short term) nowadays.

Nowadays, I generally just switch to another channel on the TV when some reporter claims that the bad weather in some part of the earth is due to "global warminng", with the implication that humanity as a whole is the cause. But this kind of excuse is becoming ever more common, a handy excuse for bad weather, flooding and whatever happens to be on the news at a particular time.

Whatever, this kind of usage has become one of the two "buzz words" I mention here. The term "buzz words" means words or phrases that automatically elicit a strong emotional response, with no regard for facts or logic.

Maybe it's just that I'm getting pretty old, but this kind of stuff bothers me. Am I alone?

Cheers, Bob

--- GoldED+/W32 1.1.5-0613
* Origin: Jabberwocky System - 02363-56073 ISDN/V34 (2:2448/44)