Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 14 Jun 24 12:02:39, всего сообщений: 12513
= Сообщение: 11152 из 12513 ===================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Vincent Coen                     2:250/1            12 Jan 22 16:22:00
Кому : Nick Andre                                          12 Jan 22 16:22:00
Тема : SDS flag
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:250/1@fidonet+61df0461
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=1:229/426+2C132A9B
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: UTF-8 ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:292/854+163c2a2f
Hello Nick!

Tuesday January 11 2022 20:44, you wrote to me:

> On 11 Jan 22  22:48:07, Vincent Coen said the following to Nick Andre:

VC>> That ok for DB from yourself but what about the 100 if not 1,000's
VC>> of other s/w out there.

> Its not just me. Theres a few others. BinkD, Mystic, Synchronet, maybe
> MBSE, some others... Sysops tend to become fans or "disciples" of
> whatever they like. For example the second the Mystic guy publishes
> something his website gets slammed with traffic; the addict Sysop
> eager to download his latest fix.

> There simply is no hunting in 2022, no waiting for some star-system.
> And no waiting for a certain star member to get over her arrogance to
> publish my stuff when my software caused a false-positive on her
> beloved Linux virus scanner, that by which time became out of her own
> ability to manage.

> You may have good intentions but what I see in the STARS echo are five
> of you tripping over yourselves to "Areafix everything" when many
> worldwide have being doing that here since the morning I disconnected
> from the NAB troika in favour of a peer-based method.

> I'm just a minor link in a redundant chain... no more, no less.

For mbse and any others I distribute or am the (co) author of, I issue updates
through the filegate system and they arrive at destination within minutes as
well as any downlinks at least from my system like wise.

I appreciate that there are some authors/programmers out there that do run a
web site where the latest versions are available for download but that is
often
slower than using the filegate or similar.

I also understand you comment regarding Prism that has a virus checker that
stated the DB archive had a virus in how ever the ones I use did not but that
going back a bit and these days my memory is not so good due to age - mine
that is.

I still say file distribution through the filegate system or a similar thing
is
a lot faster.

My commercial software updates are put on my website which address is only
given out to registered users how ever even before it it on there it has been
sent out via email etc and arrives in the registered users inbox before the
website has been refreshed more often than not.
These clients are happy with this arrangement as it saves time theirs in
getting updates or new versions.

Personally I find the file distribution system for filegate and others is also
quick with minimum time and effort on the part of a user taken up with finding
out of a new version and getting it having reminded themselves of the url to
get it which is even more important when there are multiple products that come
under this banner.

I have been in the IT industry for a very long time as well as direct
involvement in the micro computing arena since 1974 which includes running a
company that imported and distributed books, magazines, software and operating
systems as well as their updates etc for a long time and the above method of
getting new products / updates to customers is far more efficient than the
silly ways I had to do it via floppy disks, CD, DVD's etc in the post which
was
slow enough in my own country but a right pain sending to many other around
the
world but outside the original vendors territory mostly the US and Canada.

I stand by my argument and you yours - every one has their own take on it
depending on experience.

I also like to get things done with the minimum of of long term effort as
against a sort time period for setting such issues up at the beginning.

Lazy no, time short yes and it gets worse the older I get.

Vincent

--- Mageia Linux v8 X64/Mbse v1.0.7.24/GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
* Origin: Air Applewood, The Linux Gateway to the UK & Eire (2:250/1)