Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 6272 из 12549 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Henri Derksen                    2:280/1208         14 Apr 18 07:28:00
Кому : Ward Dossche                                        14 Apr 18 07:28:00
Тема : Here comes Johnny.
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/1208@FidoNet+3406206b
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:292/854+0b30162d
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: ASCII ==================================
Hello Ward,

WD> In all its wisdom it seemed my ISP switched my connection from ADSL to
WD> VDSL and didn't communicate about it.

Ofcourse that is not the right way, but it can also happen the extreme way otherwise as happened to me one or two years ago.
My ISP wanted to migrate from ADSL1 to ADSL2+,
they informed me by a letter about two months before the migration day.
In the mean time I was thinking how to solve this.
But my ISP was unpatient.
One month before the migration day they blocked my HTTP trafic to force me
to contact them about the migration.
I do not think that it is their problem If I did not contact them.

As I am almost completely deaf, I can not call them in voice.
So I had to start up my 3G mobile router to make a prepaid connection to their
home page and leave a message about the migration,
as they did not know what ADSL modem I was using.
That 3G way costs me money, because the want to migrate, not me.
My old one was a second hand white/orange Copperjet 816-2P ADSL2+ modem/router
with a single RJ45 port and two RJ14 phone ports.
For using with ADSL2+ I had to upgrade the firmware,
which I already had downloaded, but still not installed.
To do that upgrade was a difficult way with risks.
I had configured this CopperJet 816-2P ADSL modem in transparant bridged mode,
and used a Vigor 2900G router with the 802.11G WiFi in it switched off.
This combination worked wel for at least 9 years.

The other way round was to ask for a new modem/router FritzBox 7369 from my
ISP. It has 2 DSL inputs, a POTS and PhoneLine input en DECT phone server,
1 WAN and 4 LAN ports. But only 2 are GigaBit, also WiFi 2.4 GHz,
but no 5 Ghz, and it is also prepared to run IPv6.
I choosed to accept this new modem for free, i.e. the easyist way.
Many days before the migration date this modem worked ok.
Figuring out al its options etc took much time I did not want, as I was happy enough whit the old ADSL1 line, speed and price.
Now I am paying Euro 36 each month, where I started at Euro 19,95 per month.
I never asked for many speed increases as I am the only one in this house using it.
What I hated the most was the way they blocked my internet connection to force
a personal contact. I think it was my problem if I did not migrate in time.
The other disadvantage is that this new FritzBox 7369 had no lights at the Lan ports any more as the Vigor 2900G had.
I was more interested in the FritzBox 7490 my sister got for her fiber connection. As this modem/router had 5 GHz WiFi too and all 4 LAN ports are GigaBit ones. The later is much more preferable for local usage,
i.e. backupping many large files via the network.
But my ISP only gives the 7369 for ADSL usage, not the 7490.
If I want I can migrate to VDSL for a higer price, but I donot need that.
With your story I am prepared now. Luckily the 7369 also supports VDSL.

In future I want to migrate to fibre, but I did not like the completely closed PacketFront CPS369SFS modem/router that was placed in the board behind the
frontdoor in 2006. At that moment only one ISP was possible at fiber.
It was very expensive with a contract of at least 3 years, no thank you.
Now it is made open for much more ISPs, but I do not know if the PacketFront modem/router can be replaced with a more open bridge and that FritzBox 7490 modem/router?
I still have to ask that, as I explicitely do not want to use the very closed
PacketFront modem/router.
And the last reason to wait is that glassfiber cost me Euro 40 per month,
while I am now paying Euro 36 a month for ADSL2+.

WD> As everything now happens online,
WD> I couldn't search for the phone number to report a problem.

Strange. A real good ISP shows their "alarmnumber" on its website.
I know, you have no connection to see that in case of connection trouble,
but can you visit that website at a library or internet cafe, mobile phone etc.
Or write it down in a textfile or on paper, in case you once need it in future.

WD> Figuring out the port-forwarding was a nightmare as there was a manual
WD> which, as is usually the case, has nothing about the issue you're faced
WD> with.

That's normal today ;-(.
Many times I could find more info at internet by Googling, but unluckyly not allways ;-(.

WD> However, I'm not happy with the telco supplied modem\router, so
WD> eventually I may want to buy something else which has decent management
WD> options, not just basic-basic stuff.

What make/model modem/router you got?

WD> Figuring it all out cost me the better part of the day, that sucks ...
WD> but the connection is now a lot faster ... that's nice.

Be prepaired for an higher bill soon ;-(.

Henri.

---
* Origin: Connectivity is the Future; UniCorn BBS 31 26 4425506 (2:280/1208)