Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 20 Sep 24 12:02:56, всего сообщений: 12550
= Сообщение: 6717 из 12550 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Henri Derksen                    2:280/1208         14 Jun 18 12:10:00
Кому : Robert Bashe                                        14 Jun 18 12:10:00
Тема : Fiber connection to every household.
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/1208@FidoNet+5289f10f
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:2448/44+5b20e9a6
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: ASCII ==================================
Hello Robert,

MvdV> Yes you did. This what you wrote:

> [...]

MvdV> "Upload is via the phone line".

Das war einmal ;-)

RB> No, I was trying to clarify the situation for people like you, who
RB> presumably have never dealt with such a situation.

Michiel just proved he was very up to date with with modern equipment.

RB> I investigated it many years back, and found it totally uninteresting.

So your information is very old and not up to date with mordern technology.

MvdV>> But there yiou are wrong too. I have seen it work with a disk mounted
MvdV>> on a camper. Looked like a 60 cm dish. Certainly not 1 meter.

RB> Reception, yes. Transmission, no. THAT _you_ will have to "prove".

It is already proved for 18 years by inland skippers sailing through Europe.
Look out your window at the canals in Datteln.
Wesel - Datteln Kanal and Datteln - Hamm Kanal.
Or better, visit one of the locks nearby.

RB>>> From what I've read, the hardware is quite large and expensive.

That was many days before yesterday. Today it is cheaper, or at least better configurated, i.e. with more options and possibilities.

MvdV> We were disussing possible competition for Gerrit's 50M DSL line.
MvdV> Satellite is a possibility. The equipment you have read about may heve
MvdV> been large and expensive, but technology does not stand still. What I
MvdV> have seen in that camper of a fellow ham was not large. It was just an
MvdV> extra box added to a normal satellite TV camper setup. Expensive?
MvdV> That's relative of course.

Last year I spoke a camper man in Doesburg at the river IJssel witch had a
dish at his camper roof that had two functions.
A sunpanel at the back of it that follows the sun the whole day,
but changes his state and direction when used as dish for InterNet or tv,
only when standing still, mostly at evenings with less or no sun.
Then the dish is directed to the internet or tv satelite (s)he wishes to use.
When driving the whole unit was laid down with the sunpanel up horizontal,
otherwise the driving winds at 120 km/h could damage the whole unit.
So it still catches some light to make electricity,
but not as much when is was directed to the sun at the right angles.
You could call it a sun follower at daylight.
So one side is the 60 cm satelite disc and the back side is the sunpanel.
Works great he told me.
I did not had my photocamera Traveler DC8600 with me, otherwise I could have made a picture from it.
But I am sure you could find some info about it at InterNet.
So you have homework ;-).

RB> And you are absolutely _certain_ that this was a _transmission_ dish?

Yes.

RB> Just how? Were you invited in and discussed this with the owner,

Yes, at many ships and shows I have seen this many times.
I have spoken a distributor named Autena from Nijmegen of such equipment
in Gorinchem at Maritime Industry show some years ago.
They were there again at 29, 30 and 31 may 2018.
This year I had no time to go.
I bought the GlobeSurfer III+ 3G InterNet and GSM router with WiFi from them.
I can browse and E-Mail at the InterNet with it, and also make phonecalls,
but not simultaenously at the same moment.
Now that product is outdated too, there are already 4G routers.

RB> or are you simply assuming?

Not at all.

You can visit Shipping Technics Logistics at the Messe Kalkar
KernWasser Wunderland Freizeitpark at 25 & 26 september 2018 and each year.
Website: <www.shipping-technics-logistics.de>
Hmm, I am missing that Dutch dealer Autena from Nijmegen in the 2017 list.
But I am sure there are others that show satelite domes for inland ships.
Most ships have 2 domes, one for watching tv and another for InterNet.
When you have only one dish and dome, you can not use both functions at the
same time, i.e. it is the one or the other, or install two dishes in domes.
But nowadays you can often watch tv from an InterNet link,
so that function will grow the most.

Henri.

---
* Origin: Connectivity is the Future; UniCorn BBS 31 26 4425506 (2:280/1208)