Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 21 Jun 24 12:05:17, всего сообщений: 12518
= Сообщение: 479 из 12518 ======================================= ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Kees van Eeten                   2:280/5003.4       23 Jan 14 17:47:54
Кому : Pavel Gulchouck                                     23 Jan 14 17:47:54
Тема : Notice to RCs
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5003.4+52e14d7b
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:463/68+52e13272
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: LATIN-1 ================================
Hello Pavel!

23 Jan 14 16:50, you wrote to Michiel van der Vlist:

MvdV>> Anything but a valid dialable telephone number or "-Unpublisehd-" is
MvdV>> bad juju and I am very glad that we can finally get rid of all the
MvdV>> bogus telephone numbers in the nodelist.

PG> Ok, I understand and agree, thanks.
PG> Pity, but it seems we have no way to break compatibility with archaic
PG> software. Distribution of new-generation "nodelist 2.0" (xml? json?) in
PG> parallel with old-fashion nodelist may lead some problems too (which one
PG> is primary? Do all coordinators need to support both formats?).

 In de early days it was decide, that the "nodelist" was distributed by the
 C tructure. Every software that needed a different format had its own
 conversion program to adapt to the private format.

 Some Software was written to use the nodelist directly, but in some cases,
 it may be nescessary to write conversion software for such software as well.
 Think of software that expects the IP hostname to be in the systemnamefield,
 where the trend is to move the IP hostname to the INA: tag.

 The developers of Binkd use their own format, and others provide the converted
 addressing lists. They have also provided a DNS service, as do some others.

 They also developed their own transport protocol, the did not ask for
 modifications to existing protocols, that would make them incompatble
 with older versions.

 So if you need a special format develop it, build the conversion software,
 distribute the new format to those how need it. It is not the responsebility
 of the C structure to distribute your special format.

 If your format is used by the majority of the net, the world will look
 different and things may be turned around.

 Do not let the past be in the way of your creativity, but do not expect others
 to facillitate your special requirements.

Kees

--- FPD v2.9.040207  GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5
* Origin: As for me, all I know is that, I know nothing. (2:280/5003.4)