Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 1196 из 12549 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Kees van Eeten                   2:280/5003.4       15 Oct 14 15:29:46
Кому : Alexey Vissarionov                                  15 Oct 14 15:29:46
Тема : FTSC-5001 question
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5003.4+543e7b14
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:5020/545+543e24ac
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: LATIN-1 ================================

*** Answering a msg posted in area FTSC_PUBLIC (Fidonet Technical Standards).

Hello Alexey!

15 Oct 14 11:02, you wrote to me:

AV> Really?
AV> Wasn't the INT 0x27 instruction processed by ibmdos.com|msdos.sys? :-)
AV> Well, that was a cooperative multitasking... but that was exactly it.

 I have the information on my bookshelf, but I never developed software at
 that level, so I will take your word for it.

AV>>> Accessing serial ports as /dev/cua0 is much older.
KE>> You are referring to Unix, where everything is a file. At the time
KE>> Unix was not seen as what it is now. People were used to what IBM,
KE>> Digital, Data General and others offered at the time.

AV> FreeBSD was already out. Linux appeared in 1991 and became suitable for
AV> Fidonet-related use since version 2.0 (approx. 1995).

 That does not mean, that it was available for inclusion in MSdos.

AV> Also, there were gcc and glibc.

 Aren't these published under the GPL can therefore not be included into closed
 source.?

KE>> Check the circumstances of the history first, before you make bold
KE>> staments.

AV> You may repeat these words staying in front of a mirror.

 I may not be completely accurate, but I am more aware of the context when
 this all happened.

AV>>> That's good: we've got rid of ancient crippleware.
KE>> No, it is still there and is not maintained.

AV> So there should be people still using it. They may do as they wish, but...
AV> nothing will force _other_ people to keep backass combatability with their
AV> abandonware.

 It all depends what you intend to accomplish. Buld a new network, or stay
 in contact with the old.

AV>>> So why are those people still listed?
KE>> Because apparently they form the core of Fidonet.

AV> Really? :-)

 Your viewing point is different from mine.

KE>> The progressive ones are found on facebook and whatever other Social
KE>> Media is popular at the moment.

AV> They are out of Fidonet already.

 Indeed.

KE>> If you force the conservative people out of Fidonet, the net will
KE>> lose it's current already weak momentum and die.

AV> The practice of R2:50 (a half of today's nodelist) proves the opposite:
AV> eliminating dead wood allows the network to grow and develop.

 As I said, your viewing point is different from mine. I agree that at the
 moment R2:50 is the most thriving in the net. But there too, the rate of
 growth is slowing down, or is already negative.

 For young new users I can imagine that there is a call for progress in a
 sortware that is over 25 years old.

Kees

--- FPD v2.9.040207  GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5
* Origin: As for me, all I know is that, I know nothing. (2:280/5003.4)