Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 27 Sep 24 12:04:58, всего сообщений: 12555
= Сообщение: 2867 из 12555 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Kees van Eeten                   2:280/5003.4       29 Sep 15 17:08:22
Кому : BjЎrn Felten                                        29 Sep 15 17:08:22
Тема : The DAILYLST
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5003.4+560aa9db
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+560a9ac8
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: LATIN-1 ================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+560ab35a
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+560ac223
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:230/0+560ae0c8
Hello BjЎrn!

29 Sep 15 16:06, you wrote to me:

KvE>> - A perceived update, that did not influence the content of the
KvE>> nodelist.

BF>    And hatching the exact same file -- knowing that it will be detected as
BF> a dupe by any decent file processor -- several times a day, what good will
BF> that do?

 In general the dailylist is not updated, when a region update arrives. But
 there are sections that are maintained manually by the ZC.

BF>    The RC that supplied the update should get an instant reply showing
BF> the
BF> result. Since the content is not changed, what interest would the rest of
BF> the regions have in the exact same daily list hatched once again?

KvE>> - Testing the modified production of the nodelist, knowing, that
KvE>> subsequent delivery would do no harm. Doing a testrun in te afternoon
KvE>> is a better option then, staying up till after midnight when the
KvE>> actual run is scheduled.

BF>    I still don't see why hatching the exact same nodelist once again will
BF> be of any value to the regions. Surely there would be better ways to have
BF> this done for sysops interesting in it?

 I still fail to see the problem.

 At the start it was explained that the file could be hatched more then once
 a day. If your file processor decides it is a duplicate, because the file
 is identical, the the file is dumped and still nothing is lost.

 What I would like to tune in on is what happened at your system and probably
 happens at Bennys system as well, the deliveries within 40 secs.

 I do not know if it is the same phenomenon, but occasionally I also notice,
 that there is a failed session, and a repeat shortly afterwards.
 I think that is by design in Binkd.

 But why do the sessions apparently fail more then normally.
 When I look at nodelist transfers between my system and Ward, i see
 speeds of +/- 5500 CPS. When I send a comparable file to someone else, I
 get speeds of 23000 CPS. So it looks like the transfers with Ward take quite
 some time, and maybe timeouts are reached.

 Now why would the transfers from Ward be so slow.

 For one, uplinks usually have a lower bandwith,
 According to the tic files 11 files are sent at the same time.
 How may outgoing sessions are running simutanously is defined by
 maxclients in de binkd.cfg.

 It would be worth a try, if Ward reduced the number of simultanous sessions
 by lowering the value of maxclients.

 On the other hand. The receiving side should have no problem with two or
 more stage deliveries. So what can go wrong.

 On my system I have had no problems with the above. I run a batch process
 on incoming files at regular intervals so the chance that this happens
 in between a failed session and the direct repeat is minimal.

 But what happens if the file processing is initiated by binkd directly
 after the session is closed?

 If that causes havoc, then who should solve the problem. The sender is within
 the specifications of fidonet. There is no minimal transfer speed specified,
 a failed transfer is follewed by a repeat. He has no knowledge of whatever
 softwere is processing the files at the receivers end.

Kees

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5
* Origin: As for me, all I know is that, I know nothing. (2:280/5003.4)