Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 21 Jun 24 12:05:17, всего сообщений: 12518
= Сообщение: 481 из 12518 ======================================= ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         23 Jan 14 21:55:54
Кому : Pavel Gulchouck                                     23 Jan 14 21:55:54
Тема : Notice to RCs
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+52e181de
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:463/68+52e13272
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:292/854+a4082365
Hello Pavel,

On Thursday January 23 2014 16:50, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> Anything but a valid dialable telephone number or "-Unpublisehd-"
MvdV>> is bad juju and I am very glad that we can finally get rid of all
MvdV>> the bogus telephone numbers in the nodelist.

PG> Ok, I understand and agree, thanks.
PG> Pity, but it seems we have no way to break compatibility with archaic
PG> software.

Let's face reality: Fidonet is a museum. Its technology is hopelessly outdated. It started as a network of BBS's, but the users have left for the greener pastures of the Internet and so most sysops have closed their BBS.

We are a shipping company without passengers and without cargo and the only reason we keep the (antiquated) ships afloat, is because we like playing with them.

PG> Distribution of new-generation "nodelist 2.0" (xml? json?)

The shift to -Unpublished- without Pvt is probably the last major change in the nodelist that we will see. And it took ten years from the first version of the new MakeNl that could handle it until the ZCs finally threw the switch. TEN YEARS. If the next change of the same magnitude takes another ten years, it may be irrelevant.

PG> in parallel with old-fashion nodelist may lead some problems too
PG> (which one is primary? Do all coordinators need to support both
PG> formats?).

With the shrinking of Fidonet it is hard enough to find people willing and able to act as *C. Look at Z1, where many NC positions are filled by one and the same sysop. Often the RC. Asking the *C structure to distribute more than one nodelist format is too much to ask end may lead to the loss of more sysops.

I am afraid it is too late in the game for major changes. We have to make do with what we got.

Cheers, Michiel

--- GoldED+/W32-MINGW 1.1.5-b20110320