Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 949 из 12549 ======================================= ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         27 Jun 14 21:56:10
Кому : David Rance                                         27 Jun 14 21:56:10
Тема : EC Chair
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+53adcf5b
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+538adfa6
Hello David,

On Sunday June 01 2014 10:09, you wrote to me:

A late response, but we have a new development...

> [...]

The die is cast...

KE>>>  Why, do you want GB to leave the EEC.

MvdV>> The British have never been very loyal members of the EC.

DR> Well, after last week's vote, you can't say that some of the other
DR> nations wouldn't like change, too. The UK has simply pointed out many
DR> things which are not in the national interest

"the national interest"... Indeed... It seems that is all they care about...

MvdV>> If they want to go, let them go I'd say...

DR> Who said "we" wanted to go?

Your prime minister threatened with Brixit if Juncker became chairman of the EC.

DR> There are some who want that, there are others who don't. It's the
DR> same in any country, isn't it?

Perhaps, but the UK is the only country that has threatened to leave.

Others understand that something may go against the direct national interest but what is better for Europe could be better for all in the long run anyway.

DR> What "we" don't want is a United States of Europe.

Then maybe this is a good time to part...

Cameron might have shot itself in the foot with his Brixit threat. Some people are starting to wonder if Europe would not be better of without the UK. Having the UK on board is like driving with the foot on the brake pedal.

DR> Do you?

Yes, I do!

I am not a fan of the US, but there is a thing they did right: the 'U' of United States. Instead of "each for themselves" they looked beyond the direct interest if the states and formed a federal government with an authority that goes above that of the individual states. It made them a super power.

Frankly I do not understand why so many people are against a European equivalent.

DR> I wrote this here in January 2013:

MvdV>> The way I see it is that the EU is "controlled" by the two
MvdV>> largest economies, Germany and France,

Not only the largest economies but also having the most people. Of course they have a big say in things.

MvdV>> and that many of the smaller countries, though they don't like
MvdV>> this, haven't got the clout to say anything and have it listened
MvdV>> to.

How would you like it if the Isle of Man had as big a say in UK affairs as England?

How would you like it if Brighton has as big a say in England's affairs as the city of London?

DR> Oh, and by the way, it turns out that the strong swing to UKIP in the
DR> UK and the Front National in France is almost entirely due to the
DR> unpopularity of mass immigration, according to many "sondages" since
DR> the election. I suppose you don't have that problem which is why you
DR> can sit back and pontificate from your easy chair! :-)

We have our own "Farrage". His name is Geert Wilders. He lost big time in last election.

Cheers, Michiel

--- GoldED+/W32-MINGW 1.1.5-b20110320