Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 1017 из 12549 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         25 Jul 14 02:09:59
Кому : Gerrit Kuehn                                        25 Jul 14 02:09:59
Тема : Reactivated OS2Net.
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+53d1a5a8
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:240/12+53ca3ca2
Hello Gerrit,

On Wednesday July 23 2014 20:47, you wrote to Benny Pedersen:

GK> There were TCP/IP stacks for DOS, but they took an incredibly large
GK> amount of "lower" memory. I was using DesqView for multitasking under
GK> DOS back then, and mailers like BinkleyTerm needed quite a lot of
GK> lower memory to run, too. Thus, I know no-one who ran a DOS-based
GK> system for FTN back then and used TCP/IP for networking. Most people
GK> used Novell (either Netware or NovelLite) or Lantastic on DOS clients
GK> back then.

The last DOS I used was Novell DOS with personal netware. That worked great in combination with my Fido system runing Intermail. When I wanted to add FOIP to my system, I tried adding TCP/IP first. That worked but it did indeed take a lot of memory. Much more than IPX. But I managed to get it to run together with InterMail. Novell DOS had its own multitasker and my idea was to have it run Irex in a second task so that my system would have FOIP in addition to POTS.

But I never got to work InterMail together with Novell DOS's multitasker. I managed to get IREX to run on another machine and let InterMail and Irex work together over the LAN but it got too complicated and that was when I decided it was time to let go of DOS. (And IPX)

Once I had taken that step, it was fairly easy to get InterMail and Irex to run in parallel on Win98 using TCP/IP as the network protocol...

That was well over a decade ago. Win98, InterMail and Irex are all history here. Intermail was dropped because I do not need POTS anymore. No calls for over five years. Irex was dropped because it is IPv4 only. Everything here is dual stack now.