Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 28 Jun 24 12:04:28, всего сообщений: 12519
= Сообщение: 3073 из 12519 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         24 Nov 15 14:21:31
Кому : Ward Dossche                                        24 Nov 15 14:21:31
Тема : Service announcement
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+56546a75
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:292/854+e1010633
Hello Ward,

On Monday November 23 2015 02:58, you wrote to me:

WD> The police and military indeed are in the streets in a very small area
WD> of Brussels, but that's a gigantic game of poker because outside of
WD> that area there's nothing. Brussels international airport sees no
WD> heightened security at all.

That is a problem with televison reports. One can see what is within view of the camera, but one does not see what goes on in the nest street. Even the camera can be misleading. OIsaw a striking example when duringf the Iraq invasion a statue of Saddam Hussein was taken down with the help of US soldiers. It looked like quite a mob there. Later I saw another shot of the same incident and it still looked like an impressive mob. Until the camera zoomed out and we could see that it was just a 100 people or so in an otherwise empty square...

WD> Whoever was there, is long gone. The element of surprise has vanished.

Of course. And they will stay below the radar until the next incident.

WD> To me the real debate now seems to be the bypassing of EU budgetary
WD> rules to hire more police, more military, more customs. It's the same
WD> security hoax as in the US after 9/11 (although this situation doesn't
WD> compare) where there's now talk about a clamp-down on the internet,
WD> civil liberties, privacy ... the same stuff all over again ...

Fortunately there is more nuance in the debate this side of the big rivers. Of course there are the hawks screaming for revenge and more "security". But there are also cooler heads that say the chance that I meet with a serious accident within the confines of my own yard is much higher than being killed by a terrorist attack. They also say that more police and more surveilance is just false security. These bad guys were already on the list of "spooks".

Wjat the cooler heads also say that if there is to be spend more money on this problem, it should go to giving these people something they want to live for instead of wanting to die for the cause. And it won't happen as long as Michiel has a ten times better chance to get a job than Munir.