Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 3926 из 12549 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van de Vlist             2:280/5555         26 Jun 16 14:24:59
Кому : David Rance                                         26 Jun 16 14:24:59
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+576fcf77
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+576dba12
Hello David,

On Saturday June 25 2016 00:54, you wrote to me:

DR> Farrage has, for many, many years, been exploiting the dissatisfaction
DR> which some Brits have with the EU. Or rather, he blames the EU for all
DR> the ills of this country. He founded his UKIP party (United Kingdom
DR> Independence Party) so that those who wanted to leave the EU would
[...]

Thanks for the resume.

DR> Farrage was merely the catalyst. He would never have been able to call
DR> for a referendum himself, and he wasn't even part of the official
DR> Brexit campaign as he ran his own and caused a lot of upset with his
DR> sometimes fascist views. But over ten years he has played a subtle,
DR> waiting game.

Farrage may have been just the catalyt, but one may ask why he found so many willing ears that listened to him. I think the answer to that lies in the attitude of the UK leaders of the last four decades. It started with Thatcher screaming "we want out money back!" and it ended with Cameron "I will get you a better deal". It was always only about the money and always the message to the UK people was: "we have a bad deal and I will get you a better one".

You say, the EU started as an economic union. While it is true that the precursos of the EU, the community for coal and steel was indeed an economic union, the economy was not the prime goal. The prime goal of the project was to prevent that we Europeans would ever again stand against each other on the battlefield. No more war in Europe, THAT was the prime goal.

That message was never told to the people of the UK. Or if it was told, it was lost in the noise about the money. By focussing on the money and suggesting that the UK got a bad deal, an atmosphere was cerated that gave people like FArrage a breeding ground. And your leaders of the past decades are to blame for that.

It may not look like that to you looking at it from the inside, but that is how it looks for someone looking in from the outside.

DR> David Cameron gambled on the Great British Public being sensible
DR> enough to reject these calls to leave.

He gambled and lost.

DR> But other EU countries have got their Nigel Farrages. Don't
DR> underestimate them.  You may think that Geert Wilders is an idiot.

The difference is that Geert Weelders finds a much less receptive audience. His main item ever since he founded his own party is "stop the Muslims from flooding our country". To do that he advocates closing our borders and leave the EU, THat woukld also be better for our economy he claims.

While there are lots of worries about immigration here, just like in the UK, very few people here belve that leaving the EU will benfit our economy.

DR> thought that Nigel Farrage was an idiot. You may think that Wilders is
DR> a lone voice. But just wait until he latches on to things which worry
DR> the Dutch public.

Wilders has been doing that for over a decade. And of course he jumps on the bandwagon now that the people of the UK have voted to leave.

MvdV>> David Cameron made a tactical error by bashing the EU for
MvdV>> years, promising his constituency that he could get a better
MvdV>> deal. And then all of a sudden when the day of the rerendum
MvdV>> nears, he makes a U-turn and campaigns for remain. That had no
MvdV>> credibility. He overplayed his hand.

DR> I'm sorry, but that just doesn't make any kind of sense.

See above.