Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 3966 из 12549 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         28 Jun 16 23:56:18
Кому : David Rance                                         28 Jun 16 23:56:18
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5772fbda
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+57728e84
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+577308aa
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+57738dde
Hello David,

On Tuesday June 28 2016 16:49, you wrote to me:

DR> No, I wasn't voicing personal feelings. I was just trying to explain
DR> that nothing yet happens automatically. The ball is in the UK's court
DR> at the moment. Juncker may say that he wants us to get on with it, and
DR> who can blame him because the political instability will exist on both
DR> sides.

It seems that the UK will be given some time to get it's act together.

DR>  Nevertheless the UK has landed itself in a situation that it
DR> didn't expect or want,

That depends on who you ask of course. Those who voted "leave" seem to have gotten what they wanted.

DR> so we have to take time to think what to do next.

Which makes me wonder why there was no plan B. Even if the outcome was not expected, shouldn't there have been a plan B?

DR> But a pause has been enforced because of Cameron's resignation.
DR> Candidates for his job have until Thursday to declare themselves. Then
DR> they have to have the election by the Conservative MPs. Nobody much
DR> seems to want Boris to get the job and (at the time of writing) only
DR> two other candidates are in the offing. But when elected, he or she
DR> will not take office until the beginning of September.

Why the delay? If it is known who it will be, why can't he/she take office right away?

DR> That's the earliest that we can invoke Article 50 after it has been
DR> agreed in parliament.

Why? I mean why can't parliament decide on it tomorrow?

DR> But once it has, we have two years to negotiate our way out of the EU.
DR> And if we haven't got the terms we want then, tough, we shall be
DR> booted out without them!

Which I consider a serious possibility. Boris Johnson seems to want access to the European economic space, but without the "rules from Brussels". To me that sounds like having the rights but not the duties. Of course that will never be accepted by the EU.

I think the best deal that the UK can hope for is the deal that was made by Norway and Switzerland. Anything beyond and above that will not be accepted by the EU.

But the deal with Norway and Switzerland implies accepting free traffic of persons, goods and capital. And it implies that they should pay contribution. That means the UK can not close its borders for EU immigrants and they will still be a net contributor. Both of which they do not want. So I do not see how that is going to work.

DR> But another fly in our ointment is the fact that a motion of no
DR> confidence in the Leader of the Opposition (and leader of the Labour
DR> Party) is being voted on by the Labour MPs). Jeremy Corbyn has said
DR> that even if he loses, he won't quit because he was elected, not by
DR> the MPs, but by Labour membership across the country.

Yes. I heard about that. He lost the vote of confidence but won't go. I wonder how long that is going to last...

DR> Although this won't have a direct effect on invoking Article 50,
DR> nevertheless it leads to more political uncertainty for the UK.

Obviously...

DR> Anyway, we shall expect a general election soon after the new prime
DR> minister is appointed as he (or she) will need to get a mandate from
DR> the country. And if the Labour Party haven't sorted themselves out by
DR> then the Conservatives will get in by default.

Interesting...

DR> Unless, God forbid, UKIP gets in or, at least, becomes the official
DR> Opposition.

UKIP is a one issue party. They got what they want. At least if the brexit actually materialises. Then they can disbound themselves, their job is done. So the best way to make UKIP irrelevant is to get moving with brexit.

DR> You see, we're just in a mess! And such a mess I've never seen before.
DR> You can understand why I'm so depressed.

A mess it is indeed. But for the most part you have yourselves to blame. Over the decades your leaders have radiated an aura of negativity towards the EU. Instead of explaining the benefits of EU membership to the people, your leaders have tried to gain votes by creating the impression that the EU is bad and that they must fight for a better deal.

Well, we know the ultimate result of that.

Perhaps the UK should never have been in the EU to begin with. But we have no time machines and we can not undo the mistakes made in the past. We shall just have to live with them. I don't have all the answeres either.