Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 3999 из 12549 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         05 Jul 16 00:09:47
Кому : David Rance                                         05 Jul 16 00:09:47
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+577ae25b
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+57763ca0
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+577bb73e
Hello David,

On Friday July 01 2016 11:49, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> So... he realises there is no way he can deliver on his
MvdV>> promises, throws the towel in the ring and lets others clean up
MvdV>> the mess he made . What a coward!

DR> That's a very simplistic reply! How little you understand politics.

Sometimes the simplistic aproach is the right one. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and swims like a duck, chances are it is a duck.

DR> I can't believe that things in Holland (sic! I *do* know that it's
DR> the Netherlands but in England we call it Holland more often than not.
DR> Sorry!)

When I was young and ignorant, I used to equate "England" to that island between France and Ireland. But I have learned that England is just a part of it. Calling someone from Glasgow from "England" is wrong. So ever since I learned that I try to make that distinction. I make a difference between the UK, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. I would appriciate it if the courtesy were returned.

DR>  are any different to those in the UK.

Things ARE different in The Netherlands. I already mentioned that MPs are not associated with a geographical area. No gerrymandering here, no writing to your local MP. There is no such thing.

An even more important difference is that here cabinet ministers and secretaries of state are not MPs. That is against the law. If they come into the position of cabinet minister from being an MP, they have to resign as MP.

Third: a situation where the prime minister resigns but the rest of the government remains in place is impossible here. Individual cabinet ministers can resign and usually they are replaced without much ado within a couple of days, this is impossible for the prime minister. The resignation of the prime ministers equates to the resignation of the entire government and that triggers a general election.

DR> No, it's nothing to do with Boris chickening out. I'm sure the whole
DR> thing was reported fully in Europe but, if not, here goes:

It was reported here, but news does not always arrive in the same order as it happens. I wrote my comment after the news of Boris' resignation but before the background info about Michael Gove had trickled in.

DR> Before anyone puts themselves up as a candidate in a leadership
DR> election, they have to ensure that they have the backing of a critical
DR> number of MPs.

Again that is different here. It is not the MPs that decide, it is the party that decides who will be the leader for that party. There are no uniform rules for that. In some parties the committee decides, in others the members decide.

DR> Tactical voting happens all too often in elections. It's certainly
DR> happened in the past in Region 25 elections. Years ago there was a
DR> certain NC in the West of England who did a lot of tactical
DR> engineering through secret netmails in order to get the result that he
DR> "thought would be best for the Fidonet."

Tactical voting is not uncommon here as well.

DR> You haven't seen the last of Boris Johnson.

We will see.

And now Nigel Farrage has resigned as well. This side of the pond it is looked upon as the rats leaving the sinking ship. That Cameron resigned stands to reason. He lost. But Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage? They won. Here the winners don't resign, they grab the reigns.

Unless... They never expected to win end hence never had a plan. They just wanted to rock the boat in order to gain something from it. But now that they got more than they bargained for, they do not know what to do.

From here it DOES look they chickened out and choose to let others clean up the mess.

DR> (You may wonder why I refer to him as Boris. It's simply that Johnson
DR> is a common name in the UK and there are other Johnsons in parliament.
DR> "Boris" marks him out as unique and we all know who we are talking
DR> about.)

Understood.