Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 4032 из 12549 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         11 Jul 16 21:52:52
Кому : David Rance                                         11 Jul 16 21:52:52
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5783fc45
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+577b7f80
Hello David,

On Tuesday July 05 2016 11:36, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> As I said, the rats are leaving the sinking ship...

DR> Let's stop using that analogy because it doesn't do anything to
DR> further the discussion. It's just popular press rhetoric which jeers
DR> and sneers.

I can stop using it, but that won;t stop others from doing it. Let alone thinking it...

DR> Easy to say but little on meaning.

I think you are mistaken. I think it is very relevant how it is percieved outside the UK. Last week our prime minister was very angry at Cameron Johnson and Farage. He didn't use the word "rats", he was a bit more diplomatic, but he made no secrer of the factthat he was totally not amused by the three walking away. It is "not a game tha one can just walk away from" he said.

DR> David Cameron resigned because he felt that, having campaigned for
DR> staying in the EU, he felt he didn't have any credibility to lead us
DR> into Brexit.

Sounds logical, but it would have had more credibility if he had said that /before/ the votes were cast. But in fact he said, he would stay n matter what the outcome.

DR> Boris Johnson withdrew his candidacy for the leadership because his
DR> friend (!) Bru.... er, Michael Gove, effectively put an end to his
DR> ability to win the leadership election.

Again sounds logical. But we all know that whjat people give as official reason eer so often is notthe real reason. Especially with politicians.

DR> Nigel Farage resigned as leader of UKIP because he had done what he
DR> set out to do and that was to get the population of the UK to vote us
DR> out of the EU. He has no further ambition. Indeed he was a one policy
DR> politician and had never pretended to be anything else.

Then why is he still a member of the EU parliament? If he got what he wanted why did he not dissolve the entire party? It was a one issue party and that one issue is completed isn't it?

No matter what they say, the action is that all three walked away from what they created. What it looks like from here, is that not one opf the three expected a "leave". And so they made no plan for that. And now they have no plan, have no idea waht to do. So they walk away and let others clean up the mess they created. That is how it looks like from here. And you know what they say about when it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and smells like a duck...

DR> Jeremy Corbyn refuses to resign as leader of the Labour party on the
DR> basis that he was elected by the grass roots party members and he says
DR> that it is for them, not the parliamentary party, to call for him to
DR> go.

He may have a point...

DR>  At the moment it looks as though the grass roots are getting
DR> stronger for him day by day! So Labour is in an even bigger mess than
DR> the country generally!

A mess indeed.

DR> There are five Conservative candidates standing for election to lead
DR> the party and become prime minister. The front runner at the moment is
DR> Theresa May (who incidentally lives about three kilometres from me in
DR> the charming little village of Sonning on the River Thames. She is MP
DR> for the neighbouring town of Maidenhead). The others are Michael Gove,
DR> Liam Fox, Stephen Crabb and a little known late entry but who has the
DR> backing of Boris, Andrea Leadsom.

By now only one is left and so the evening of the day after tomorrow, the UK will have a new PM.

DR> The first round of voting by Conservative MPs starts today. It will
DR> result in the candidate with the lowest votes being eliminated. There
DR> will be further similar rounds until there are just two candidates
DR> left. This takes us up to the 29th July. The two remaining candidates
DR> will then be put to a postal vote of all Conservative party members
DR> throughout the country and the result should be known by the 9th
DR> September and Parliament will then resume.

That no longer applies.

DR> However, to quote an old English adage, "there's many a slip 'twixt
DR> cup and lip." Who knows what may happen between now and then.
DR> Armageddon? ;-)

Anyway. There is now no longer an excuse for delaying the invocation of art 50. Prime minister May, can do that on Thursday.