Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 20 Sep 24 12:02:56, всего сообщений: 12550
= Сообщение: 4265 из 12550 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         18 Sep 16 15:54:58
Кому : Gerrit Kuehn                                        18 Sep 16 15:54:58
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+57dea000
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:240/12+57dd831f
Hello Gerrit,

On Saturday September 17 2016 19:02, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> However ... the UK has always complained that they are a net
MvdV>> contributor to the EU. So when they stop contributing, they
MvdV>> should have enough money to do their own funding. Shouldn't
MvdV>> they?

GK> I'm pretty sure no-one ever came up with concrete, verifiable numbers
GK> on that.

If you just add the membership fees and substract the grants, they are a net contributor. OF course they are!. All the rich counries are.

GK> In many cases these things are entwined and rather complicated to
GK> follow.

Of course. The above calculation is just part of the story.

GK>  There are not only funds that stop flowing, there are effects of
GK> second and third order that are not so obvious.

Plus that there are effects of scale. The fact that the membership fee exceeds the returend grants, does not mean that they are better off without the EU.

Just an example.

The cost of border control is roughly proportional with the diameter of the area to control. The number of occupants is rougly proportional with the square of the area to control.

The cost of border control per capita is proportional to the inverse square root of the number of people to protect. It is cheaper to join forces and do things together.

Just an example

MvdV>> Airbus may also split up.

GK> Interesting example. I think Airbus has dedicated subsidiaries in UK.
GK> These used to keep a fair return in ESA projects. Now, ESA as such is
GK> separate from EU, so at first sight one might think ESA is not
GK> affected by Brexit. But as I said above, these things tend to come
GK> with higher-order effects...
GK> <http://spacenews.com/britains-quitting-the-eu-but-will-it-
GK> be-forced-out-of-eu -space-programs/>

Hard to say how that will work out, but I think there will be many second and third order effects of the Brexit that no one has even thought about yet.

GK> I'll not bet on anything before they not even officially applied for
GK> leave and started negotiating. Looks like there are interesting times
GK> ahead.

It will certainly be ineteresting, but I also think this will not be a "nice" divorce.