Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 20 Sep 24 12:02:56, всего сообщений: 12550
= Сообщение: 4354 из 12550 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         25 Sep 16 23:56:44
Кому : Gerrit Kuehn                                        25 Sep 16 23:56:44
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+57e84821
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:240/12+57dd8344
Hello Gerrit,

On Saturday September 24 2016 12:49, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> I would have expected that the areas that received least money
MvdV>> from the /EU/ would have voted for Brexit. And that the areas
MvdV>> that received substantial amounts of EU money would have voted
MvdV>> for Bremain.

GK> I doubt many people are able to tell this apart.

That may be one of the reasons for the Brexit. My parents had a summer house in Ireland. They had it from 1965 to 2005. I have been there many times in that period. It was quite common to see signs like "this road was co-funded by the European Community". Ireland has always had a positive attitude towards the EU.

I have never seen that in the UK. The UK leaders never radiated a positive attitude. They never told the people about the plus points of being part of the Union. On the contrary, they were always negative about the EU. It started with Thatcher and her (in)famous "we want our money back". And it ended with Cameron's "we can get a better deal". Even those in favour of remain were always negative about the EU. Dutch correspondents living in the UK, say they have seen this Brexit coming for years...

The UK never was a loyal member of the EU. And their leaders are in part to blame for always emphesising on the negative side and never focussing on the positive side.

If the leaders speak about the EU in a negative way for three decades, one does not have te be surprised that the people start to believe that they are better off without it.

GK> Moreover, often this is a mixed calculation where parts of the money
GK> come from the EU and parts from the national government or even some
GK> smaller structure (states or even counties in Germany).

Of course. But if you never ever tell the people that at least part of the money comes from the EU, they won't know about it will they? And then if you keep telling them they are paying too much to the EU, they will not have a positive attitude towards the EU.