Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 20 Sep 24 12:02:56, всего сообщений: 12550
= Сообщение: 4434 из 12550 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         29 Nov 16 01:13:18
Кому : Torbjorn Mohn                                       29 Nov 16 01:13:18
Тема : Replacing cable modem
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+583cd280
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:211/37+ac59f992
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: UTF-8 ==================================
Hello Torbjorn,

On Monday November 28 2016 23:04, you wrote to me:

>> Later today I will replace the cable modem. I will be off-line for
>> some time..

TM> Interesting? I replaced mine last week. Took me 15 minutes, most of
TM> the time was for the ISP to connect to the new one, and update the
TM> firmware. I now have a 500/50 Mbps/s line.... What a luxury. :-)

It did not take me much longer to regain basic connectivity. But I planned some more time because:

1) Here you can not just buy a modem/router on the open market and get it connected. The cable company gives you a modem/router on loan. I got a new one a couple of monthe ago to replace my old Motorola surfboard that has been humming away for over a decade but which was no longer up to speed. A Cisco EPC3928. The modems they give you have some custom modification to the firmware.  With the modem comes a set of activation codes. To activate the modem you have to go to their website and enter the activation codes. So I activated the Cisco a couple of month ago. So far so good.

2) The standard firmware for that modem had no IPv6 support. But I managed to wurm myself into a beta IPv6 test program. I got it do do IPv6. It was not a succes. It was very unstable. For Fidonet it worked because Fidonet doesn't mind a couple of retries, but for websurfing it was horrible. I could have gone back to IPv4 only with that modem/router but that was not what I wanted.

3) They have a modem/router that has stable IPv6. The Ubee EVW321b. That is the only CPE they presently offer that has stable IPv6. But you can't get it on request. When they have to replace a modem they just randomly take one off the shelve. No way to get it from them...

4) So... I went a different route. Marktplaats. That is the local equivalent of E-Bay. Those modem/routers issued on loan are not supposed to appear on Marktplaats, but the fact is that they do. And so I got myself a Ubee ECM321b on the gray|black market for EUR 15.

5) So this was a bit of an adventure. Unsubstantiated rumour had it that modem activation codes were only tied to the client number, not to the modem. I used the same activation codes I had used a couple of month ago. And low and behold, it worked.  I was indeed reconnected in about 20 minutes and now with stable native IPv6. :-)

6) Of course I got new IP adresses, Both for IPv4 and IPv6. So I had to update my DNS records. And I had to figure out how to configure inbound connettivity. No problem for IPv4, but IPv6 was a bit ... eh .. counter intuЛtive.

TM> Hope your update will run as smoothely as mine did. :-)

Bottom line: it works! ;-)

Cheers, Michiel

--- GoldED+/W32-MINGW 1.1.5-b20110320