Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 5053 из 12549 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         08 Jul 17 11:02:22
Кому : Robert Bashe                                        08 Jul 17 11:02:22
Тема : Saint Kennedy (was: Mike Pence)
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5960a4c4
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:2448/44+59552266
Hello Robert,

On Thursday June 29 2017 17:37, you wrote to me:

MV>> When was the last time a poor boy with an honest father became POTUS?

RB> Try Obama. He may not have been rich,

Obama was not a poor boy.

RB> but his father, in Kenya, was definitely not dishonest.

What do we know about Obama's father? Nobody here ever heard of him before Obama became a candidate for the presidency.

RB> Otherwise he would have stayed in Hawaii.

I don't follow that logic.

RB> And he surely didn't earn millions by bootlegging during prohibition,
RB> like Kennedy Sr. did.

He lived at the wrong place in the wrong time to be involved. Other than that: we do not usually judge people by what their parents did or didn't. Our queen has a father that was "wrong" during the Videla regime in Argentine. Yet she was allowed to marry the crown prince and become queen of The Netherlands.

Bottom line: Obama does not qualify as "a poor boy with an honest father".

MV>> I don't support rewriting history.

RB> I don't either.That's why I (and not only I) was so angered when they
RB> tried to change Cape Canaveral into Cape Kennedy. Why not change
RB> Washington, D.C. to Kennedy, D.C.?

"Canaveral" is not the name of a historical person.

RB>>> The half dollars were bad enough. At least FDR deswerved to be
RB>>> put on the dime.

MV>> If you say so...

RB> I do. He (FDR) was the man who made sure you (and the rest of Europe)
RB> aren't speaking German nowadays.

We have discussed that before. Ward already responded to the "we saved your asses from Hitler part". And Bob: I DO speak German. And if FDR had stopped me from speaking German - which he didn't - he did me no favour. I speak German, but I had to learn it the hard way. Had it been my native language I would not have gone through the torture of trying to get a grip on all those cases and inflection in school. For me language is just a tool for communication. I am not at all pleased to be saddled wit a native language that only one percent of the people in the world understands. Had German been my native language, I would have been quit happy with that. And if FDR did the job right, why is English not my native language?

RB> What did Kennedy do except to stand by while the wall between east and
RB> west Germany was being built?

What could he have done other than start WWIII?

RB> "Ich bin ein Berliner" (spoken phonetically, without understanding)

I am a sausage...

RB> was a cheap rhetorical trick the Germans unfortunately fell for.
RB> Better choose your heros with more discretion.

Now you are doing it again: You are putting words into my mouth. I never claimed Kennedy was my hero. It was you that brought Kennedy into the discussion. All I did was dispute your claim that LBJ was an example of a "neutral or positive change" when a VP became POTUS.