Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 20 Sep 24 12:02:56, всего сообщений: 12550
= Сообщение: 5089 из 12550 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         31 Jul 17 22:10:40
Кому : David Rance                                         31 Jul 17 22:10:40
Тема : Eclipse
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+597f9238
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+597e0565
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+59808780
Hello David,

On Sunday July 30 2017 18:12, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> With dirt cheap flying it is easier then a couple of decades
MvdV>> ago. With the drawback that all the good spots are crowded...

DR> Well, if you mean by a good spot a place where others are gathered
DR> with the same intention then that may be true.

With a "good spot" I mant a spot where one has a reasonable expectation of a clear sky, a good unobstructed view, good reacheability at no extraordinary cost.

MvdV>> It must be really frightening for the uneducated people in the
MvdV>> middle ages. Having no idea what was happening, seeing the sun
MvdV>> being "eaten" by ,,, yeah, by what? Awfull...

DR> Why just the Middle Ages? Yes, they would have been used to the winter
DR> solstice even if they weren't comfortable with it, but a lunar or a
DR> solar eclipse? It may well have sent some people doolally.

Middle ages and earlier. After that people would be better educated and know what to expect,

DR>>> David (writing from Normandy)

MvdV>> Will you keep that house now that Ann is gone?

DR> Of course!

Good. After I became a widower, now 21 one years ago, I considered starting a completely new life somewhere. But then I figured burning bridges in a state of strong emotion is not a good idea and I decided on not taking irreversible steps such as selling my houes. I have not regretted it.

DR>  I've just had my eldest granddaughter staying with me for
DR> the first time. She's at Southampton University studying French,
DR> German and Russian and wanted a few days where she could practise her
DR> French - and to be with me, of course!).

Great!

DR> Anyway, yesterday I took her to Lisieux (in my nice new Porsche!)

A Porsche! Great. Did I ever tell you I once had a 911T? The 2 liter 1968 model. I bought it second habd from my father, who didn't drive it any more. It had been standing in his garage for a couple of years. With sone effort I got it going again and drove it for five or six years. When it was 17 years old, I had to part with it. The weak part of that model was vulnerability to rust. Apparently one was not supposed to not crash it in seventeen years. The coast of repairs were above my budget. I loved that car, so it was with pain in my hearth that I had to let go!