Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 5233 из 12549 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         20 Aug 17 00:38:59
Кому : David Rance                                         20 Aug 17 00:38:59
Тема : Eclipse
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5998ca49
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+59808780
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+599951de
Hello David,

On Tuesday August 01 2017 15:52, you wrote to me:

DR> A 911T? Oh boy, my dream car.

Yes, the 2 litre 1968 model.

Apart from the rust problem it had another weakness. The hydrolic dampers on de distribution chain. As you probably know, the 911T had a six cylinder boxer motor with two upper camshafts. The distribution chain driving these camshafst was rather long and to prevent vibration, there were two hydrolic dampers, one on each side mounted about half way between the crank shaft and cam shafts.

Oil was supposed to stay in the dampers and be refreshed by oil leaking from the chain. Ever so often however, the oil would not stay in and the damping function was lost causing the chain and the dampers to violenty vibrate in a vertical direction, preventing the oil to leak back into the damper. Continue to drive might cause the chain to skip a tooth and that could cause the valves to be out of sync with the cylinders causing severe damage. So when this happened, continue to drive was a bad idea.

First one had to remove some plating to make room. Then one had to remove the covers (two of them) the get to the distribution chain, remove the dampers, do some trickery to fill them with oil again, replace the covers, and the plating.

Fist time it took me several days, including how to figure out what to do, but it happened so often that it became routine. I once did it on a parking place in Switzerland in less than half an hour.

In later models this problems was fixed and I got my hands on "improved" dampers that fit my old model, and that was a significant improvement.

Yes I liked that car. But... it was half a lifetime ago. The roads were not as crowded as they are today and speed limits outside build up areas were hardly enforced. My standard cruising speed was 160 km/h when conditions allowed and sometimes a bit more on the motor ways. I once covered the distance of exactly 200 km from Utrecht to Dokkum (FRL) in one hour 40 minutes. That is an /average/ of 120 km/h. And only half of it was motorway.

Today this would be impossible, but that was the driving style that car was designed for. Today, with a driving style like that, I would lose my license and maybe have the car impounded as well.

Those were the days, but those days are history. Now I obey the speed limits. Well, most of the time, I may go a few klicks more on occasion with the motor bike, but nothing like 3 dB any more.

DR> The model I have is the Macan and I am well pleased with it. A sports
DR> car would be nice but I need an SUV, especially around the "estate"
DR> here so this is a good compromise, although it's not so useful around
DR> town so I've kept my late wife's Smart Fortwo as a town runabout.

Ok..

DR> Today, though, they don't rust.

The Porches of today are very different from those half a century ago. Today they have a water cooled engine in the front...

DR> I seem to remember when you visited me you had a Volvo. I've had only
DR> one (a 264) and, although Volvos are supposed not to rust, this one
DR> did - in a most surprising place. The middle of a door panel!

Yes I had a Volvo. A 365. Which was actually a DAF with a Volvo stamp on it. It was a good car. They were pretty immune to rust but not 100%. Mine also had some rust problems when it was older. When it was 17 years old I made use of a government incentive to dismantle dirty cars. I traded it in for the Renault Megane I have now and got some EUR 500 for having the Volvo scrapped.