Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 06 Jul 24 08:57:14, всего сообщений: 12527
= Сообщение: 5803 из 12527 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         03 Jan 18 22:07:37
Кому : Markus Reschke                                      03 Jan 18 22:07:37
Тема : Nlcheck report.
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5a4d4cc5
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:240/1661+5a08bb8c
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:240/1661+5a08bb93
Hello Markus,

On Wednesday January 03 2018 14:58, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> ISDN is as good as dead. Very few telecom providers still offer
MvdV>> it. New hardware is no longer available. Forget about ISDN. It
MvdV>> is (almost) history.

MR> Yep, ISDN is being phased out. Telcos still offering ISDN can do so
MR> only as long as they have enough spares in storage. In exchange
MR> offices the old POTS/ISDN ports are replaced with FXS ports.

Here the incumbent - KPN - the ony one still offering ISDN, has announced ISDN will stop on 1 September 2019. No one else offers ISDN AFAIK. So it is not totally dead yet, but its days are numbered.

MR> VoIP routers/PBXs got a few FXS ports for POTS telephones, fax
MR> maschines and modems. There are also ATAs providing FXS ports.

Yes. My cable modem (Ubee EVW321b) has two FXS ports. I have an additional ATA (Linksyspap) also with two FXS ports. I still use an analog 2x6 PABX using one port of each.

MR> With the proper settings a modem still works fine, but the maximum bps
MR> rate achievable is limited, maybe  about 24k.

I no lonfer have an analog modem connectes, but it did indeed work over both when I still had one. I rarely got more than 14k4.

I had no call in five years, so when I converted my system from IRX/INterMail to binkd, I dropped modem support.

MR> "clear channel") is also available but quite rare, and even fewer
MR> telcos support it. Anyway, you can still support classic polls via
MR> modem,

IF you still have a modem and a computer with a serial port. Both are scarse these days.

MR>  though it's yesterday's technology and doesn't make much sense
MR> any longer.

To me it makes no sense at all. Emulating a 14k4 modem data connection over a 1M+ data line is as silly as putting a horse and rider on a trailer behind a car to get the rider from A to B. Might as well dispense with the horse, the trailer and the driver of the car and just let the horseman just use the car.

Same for ISDN emulation over VOIP.

HD>>> as I do not have the energy to change over to IP.

MvdV>> You should have done that ten years ago when you still had the
MvdV>> energy.

MR> IMHO it's easier to setup an IP mailer than a POTS mailer plus modem.

Hard to say. Usually doing something for the second time is a lot easier than doing it for the first time. I have forgotten how hard it was to set up a POTS system for the first time, it was too long ago. Nd of course that first one was a point sytem. Also when I sat up my first IP system, I still had the experience of setting up a Fidonet system. I find it hard to say how it would be for someone new to Fidonet doing either for the very first time.