Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 20 Sep 24 12:02:56, всего сообщений: 12550
= Сообщение: 6496 из 12550 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         07 Jun 18 13:12:14
Кому : Robert Bashe                                        07 Jun 18 13:12:14
Тема : DNS Problems
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5b1916ed
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:2448/44+5b17ef55
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:2448/44+5b193612
Hello Robert,

On Wednesday June 06 2018 16:27, you wrote to me:

RB> I would have been grateful for just a bit more understanding of my
RB> situation and the speed with which things were happening.

Maybe I overreacted. I am once again reminded of why I avoided a career in teaching. I lose my patience when people do not understand things that I consider basic and when I am witheld information that couls have solved a problem much quicker...

MV>> Bob, it really would have helped if you had given us ALL the
MV>> information that was asked for. You were asked if the IP given by
MV>> the host name was indeed your actual IP.

RB> Which I had no way of knowing.

Then next time, please give some feedback instead of just ignoring the question. Then we could have told you how toget to know your acrual IP number.

RB> The IP I was getting remained the same for over three days (I thought
RB> very unusual, but had no reason to doubt it), and both it and the DNS
RB> alias could be successfully pinged. But the system was not reachable
RB> with a poll. What would you have liked to hear? I mentioned the IP
RB> several times.

That was the IP that the host name resolved to. What we needed wat the actual IP number used by your system. You could have obtained that by:

1) Entering the setup of your router and find the WAN IP address.

2) Surf to whatsmyip.com.

3) Connect with binkd to my system or that of someone eles, so that your actual IP could be gleened from the callee's log.

That way we would have seen that your actual IP was different from the IP resolved by the host name. We would have immidiateley have  eleiminated a lot of potential problems.

MV>> I asked you for the output of IPconfig.

RB> Not that I noticed.

MV>> Someone else asked you for the output of netstat.

RB> True, but the output was very voluminous, and I had no way of simply
RB> copying it to send. My system runs under OS/2, and the copy and insert
RB> commands don't necessariuly work the same as in Windows.

You are not maling it easier on youself with such a multi-OS setup. Especially running binkd on a dead end street OS with no tools available for debugging  etc...

RB> And to be frank, I was in no mood to try copying the output, running
RB> from one computer to the other and copying by memory.

So then you shift the burden to the ones you call on for help?

RB> You seem to assume I had several perfectly calm helpers here to do

No, I assumed that you had some basic knowledge of networking and how your own setup was configured. An error obviously..

RB> In the end, Dieter was the one who really helped - not too surprising,
RB> as he also is familiar with OS/2 and had helped me set up my original
RB> DNS alias -> IP in the first place. He went to a great deal of trouble
RB> to help me.

Well kudos for Dieter. He obviously is a better teacher than I.

MV>> When asking for help in solving  problems like this it really
MV>> helps if you supply ALL the information. Not just the parts that
MV>> you consider relevant.

RB> I think that if such a problem again arises, you should personally get
RB> into your car and come here to be absolutely sure that YOU get
RB> everything you think you need. That might even solve the problem.

Only to find out that it had been a waste of time and petrol and that the problem cold have been solved before I got the car out of the driveway if only you I had that very basic but essential peace of information...

Nah, next time I will just press the next key...