Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 20 Sep 24 12:02:56, всего сообщений: 12550
= Сообщение: 6645 из 12550 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         12 Jun 18 00:34:25
Кому : Gerrit Kuehn                                        12 Jun 18 00:34:25
Тема : Fiber connection to every household
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5b1f0420
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:240/12+5a80ab33
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:2448/44+5b1f60db
Hello Gerrit,

On Monday June 11 2018 22:33, you wrote to me:

GK>>> They don't sell you more here.

MvdV>> They would if there were competition...

GK> There is only one fibre and only one copper cable. Which competition?

Satellite?

Here we had the green coax cable as competition for the 600 Ohm twisted pair for almost 20 years.

40 years ago there was the 600 Ohm twisted pair for telephony and the Yagi antenna for TV. One twisted pair to each house and one antenna for each house. With a bit of luck one could install a special antenna and amplifier to not just receive the two Dutch Television channels but also the three German television channels. In the late 70ties I mounted such an antenna on my parents house to receive Kleve (Ch 58) and Wesel (Ch 35 and 48) The signal was just good enough.

People living in apartments buildings started share one antenna on top of the building for a better signal. In the southern part of the Netherlands they could receive the Belgian Televison.

Then someone got the idea that they did not need an antenna on every apartment building, but that the signal from the antenna on the highest building could be shared wth the whole village. Or city. Or province.

And the someone figured we could exchange signals from the ones being able to pick up the German signal with the ones picking up the Belgian signal. And since the Belgians coul pick up the BBC signals....

Within a decade the individual antennas were gone and we had a national coax network offering 30 European channels...

When I came into my house in 1985, the green coax was already there. And of course the 600 Ohm twisted pair for telephony. Back then they were strictly seperated. 600 Ohm for the telephone, 75 Ohm for Televison. Each with their own monopoly,

That changed in the late 90ties when the monopolies were broken. The telcos started with DSL and the cable guys experimented with telephony.

Now over two decades later the green 75 Ohm coax and the old 600 Ohm twisted pair compete on all three areas. Internet, telephony and Televison.