Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 20 Sep 24 12:02:56, всего сообщений: 12550
= Сообщение: 6696 из 12550 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         14 Jun 18 00:19:38
Кому : Robert Bashe                                        14 Jun 18 00:19:38
Тема : Fiber connection to every household
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5b21a064
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:2448/44+5b20e9a6
Hello Robert,

On Wednesday June 13 2018 11:53, you wrote to me:

MV>> "Upload is via the phone line".

RB> Congratulations, Michiel. You've just won the award as "fido adversary
RB> of the month". A worthy contribution.

RB> The fact is that phone uploads are the rule, at least in Germany, not
RB> the exception.

Be that as it may be, I know what I have seen. And it was a fully bidirectional satellite link. No phone line.

RB> The exception would be a full-scale satellite transmission system
RB> which is so large and prohibitively expensive that most people are not
RB> interested.

What I have seen was not large and not prohibitively expensive.

RB> Except, of course, people like you, who will pay any amount for their
RB> hobby.

Although I use it for my hobby as well, the internet connection as such os not a hobby. In this day and age it is essential for functioning as a citizen. And you are wrong in that I would pay any amount.

RB> Many people living outside (larger) cities would be gratedul if you
RB> were right. Instead, they make do with phone lines and clamor for
RB> better connectivity outside built-up areas. Now, why do you suppose
RB> they do that?

I don't know. I do know someone using a satellite link though.

MV>> Satellite is a possibility. The equipment you have read about may
MV>> heve been large and expensive, but technology does not stand
MV>> still. What I have seen in that camper of a fellow ham was not
MV>> large. It was just an extra box added to a normal satellite TV
MV>> camper setup. Expensive? That's relative of course.

RB> And you are absolutely _certain_ that this was a _transmission_ dish?
RB> Just how? Were you invited in and discussed this with the owner, or
RB> are you simply assuming?

I am 100% sure the equipment was for receiving AND transmitting. And yes, I was invited and I discussed it with the owner.

It was at a yearly Hamfest. We stood next to each other for a week on a camping in the eastern part of The Netherlands. I have known this fellow for decades, we have both been Hams for over half a century. Showing each other's equipment and discussing it is one of the reasons why we have these Hamfests in the first place. Radio Amateurs recognisie a transmitter when they see one.

His name is Jan, He is Dutch. His wife is German and she is called Birgit. She is on Harz IV. That should tell you he is not a millionaire. They went to live on her parents place which is located in a sparsely populated area. The satellite setup is used both at home and when they are on the move with the camper. His "landline" is also via the satellite link. So when they are on the move they take their "festnumber" with them.

I have seen it in operation. It works.