Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 20 Sep 24 12:02:56, всего сообщений: 12550
= Сообщение: 6728 из 12550 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         15 Jun 18 13:52:48
Кому : Björn Felten                                        15 Jun 18 13:52:48
Тема : Fiber connection to every household
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5b23ac98
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5b1fa170
Hello Björn,

On Tuesday June 12 2018 12:33, you wrote to me:

BF>    Not to mention that it's an investment in the future. Once you have
BF> the fiber modem in your house you are open to all kinds of future
BF> developments. The speed via fiber seems to have no upper limit --
BF> copper cables surely have.

Of course there is an upper limit. But it is so high that for that so called "last mile" it is infinite for all intents and purposes for at least another generation.

BF>    The days of the old copper cable connection are long time over;

For that old technology of a pair of wires strung on poles, I agree. But here in this part of the world we have another type of copper: the green coax, originally for distributing TV signals. With its presently used bandwidth of 850 MHz, it can offer 100+ digital TV channels. Analog FM radio, and 400/40 Internet. And the limit has not been reached yet. The bandwidt can be extended to 2000 MHz andInternet speeds above 2 Gig are on the horizion. So the green coax is not history yet...

BF> those that of cheapness are hanging on to that internet technology
BF> will soon see that the services offered to them will slowly be reduced
BF> to a minimum.

For the 600 Ohm pair, I agree.

BF>    I now can enjoy Netflix, HBO, CMore, Youtube, SVTPlay and other
BF> streaming services in full HD quality without any lagging due to slow
BF> internet connection. I prefer to watch various TV programs when I want
BF> to, rather than having to rely on the TV companies airing times (and
BF> their commercials).

I can have all that too over the green coax.

BF>    Not to mention the advantage of having a symmetrical speed, with
BF> 100 times faster upload speed than my previous, twice as expensive,
BF> ADSL8/1.

With the incumbent performing that badly, I can see why you did not hesitate a second.

In my case the balance is a bit more subtle. The green caox is good enough for my needs and will probably be for another decade. The one drawback is that I have no choice of content provider. There is a EU directive that owners of infrastructure must open up their lines for competition, but so far the owner of th egreen coax has been able to wriggle out of it.

If a hypothetical fiber company would offer the option of choosing between different content providers/ISPs, that would be a factor of significance in making the choice.

BF>  My daughter really loves the difference when we exchange
BF> various videos or other huge files. She too recently got fiber up
BF> there, in the Northern Swedish wasteland...  <3

Oddly enough here in the so called "rural areas" people have a better chance of finding a provider that is interested in doing the digging. There is no green coax in the rural areas. The only alternative for (slow) DSL is the satellite...

BF>    But I guess it's the usual YMMV. I for one didn't hesitate for a
BF> second. I even paid for the connection in advance just to make sure I
BF> would get it.

Understood.