Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 13 Sep 24 12:11:54, всего сообщений: 12549
= Сообщение: 4097 из 12549 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555.1       13 Jul 16 20:34:29
Кому : Robert Bashe                                        13 Jul 16 20:34:29
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555.1+57868d11
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:2448/44+5784a3d5
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:2448/44+57870ec3
Hello Robert,

On Tuesday July 12 2016 09:49, you wrote to me:

MV>> Inflexibility on the part of the EU is not the cause of the
MV>> problem.

RB> But undemocratic imposition of frequently counterproductive
RB> regulations is. Quite a number of EU rules are quite unpopular here in
RB> Germany.

And that is not the case fir the rules from the federal government, the state or the municipality?

I am subject to many, many rules. They come from different levels. The lowest level is the municipality. Those effect me most and so there are many of them that I do not like. Next level is the province. They also issue rules I do noet like. Then there is the national government in The Hague, Some very unpopular rules come from them. Yes, and then there is Bsrussles, Those rules affect me least.

RB>  And the fact that the commissioners are not directly elected,

Our cabinet ministers are not diretly electred either. It does not bother me.

RB> but have the _exclusive_ right to formulate EU legislation (the
RB> parliament can only vote on what the Commission proposes) doesn't sit
RB> well with democracy "buffs" here, either.

If the people of the UK want more democracy, let then start at home. What is less democratic than a head of state that gets into the position by right of birth. If they wnt more democracy, let them lead by example snd et rid of their royalty.

MV>> Rather the opposite I'd say. We - the rest of the EU - have been
MV>> too flexible towards the UK. we should have told them "no more
MV>> exeptions" a long time ago. Now we have a spoiled child that is
MV>> out of control.

RB> Then we'll have to look at the exceptions granted to the other EU
RB> members,

The UK has been grantes far more exceptions than any other EU country.

RB>  like the tariff exemption for Germany to import as many
RB> duty-free banannas from Latin America as it wants. ;-)

RB> Sounds like small potatoes, doesn't it?

Thta is what it sounds and that is what it is.

RB> But maybe you can still remember how the French howled at that, and
RB> wanted protection for the banannas produced by their overseas
RB> departments. I can't remember whether they got it or not.

I do not remember the incident. But I do recall Tatcher yellig "we want our money back". And heR successors saying things to the same effect.

RB> I'm sure there are other examples (for example the Swedes and Danes
RB> refusing the Euro),

Which should not have been accepted either.

RB> but let's not forget that the English aren't the
RB> only ones in the EU with special deals. If we get into that subject,
RB> we'd be opening a can of worms for the entire EU.

They are not the only one's but they sure got more than evryone else.

* Origin: Michiel's laptop (2:280/5555.1)