Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции FTSC_PUBLIC с датами от 13 Sep 13 18:57:24 до 01 Aug 24 00:39:47, всего сообщений: 7127
= Сообщение: 986 из 7127 ======================================= FTSC_PUBLIC =
От   : Maurice Kinal                    1:153/7001         06 Jan 14 21:24:19
Кому : Nicholas Boel                                       06 Jan 14 21:24:19
Тема : all over but the crying?
FGHI : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=1:153/7001.0+52cb1f03
На   : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=1:154/701+52cb04f1
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Hey Nicholas!

NB> It would at least be nice if some of the most popular editors of
NB> today's FTN age could display the characters properly.

Have they *ever* gotten that right?  This is a highly debatable issue even going back however many years you care to go back with respect to non-ascii 8-bit characters.  Add to this the fact you have a port from DOS world on a Linux box and that in itself should tell you something.

I recall back in the early 1990's having issues with DOS with respect to 8-bit charcters nevermind ports to Linux, which I never heard of back then.

NB> I would if I could, but I'm not a programmer.

You don't need to be.  Everything you need has already been programmed for you.  You just need to figure out how the pieces fit together, which is what I learned about the Unix philosophy way back when.  In the meantime your golded/mutt combination seems to be working and since it is meant for a single user (yourself) I wouldn't bother going beyond that for the time being.

NB> As long as I know my messages are leaving here the way they
NB> should

They look fine, even the utf-8 characters in the ones you've sent previously.

NB> especially if noone wants to fix it

That depends on what needs fixing.  I think Kees is on the right track with his thought on Golded using glibc's scheme with respect to utf-8 and (at least) Linux.  That would be the best fix for Golded+ and utf-8 messaging methinks.  As for conversions, that probably should be done independently of any editor and iconv in conjunction with the slew of charmaps in the already existing /usr/share/i18n/charmaps seem to be able to handle EVERYTHING that I've seen originating from any FTN app thus far.  However that totally depends on the originating system knowing what stinkin' 8-bit codepage their system is actually using.  I've seen evidence to the contrary but so far not in Fidonet.  So far the 8-bit CHRS kludges when they exist have been correct, although I ignore the level parameter ... as well as aliasing at least one obsoleted one to cp437.  So far so good.

NB> They've never been a body of enforcement.

Excellent.  I personally have never had a problem with that.  Have you?

Life is good,
Maurice

--- GNU bash, version 4.2.45(2)-release (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)
* Origin: Pointy Stick Society - Ladysmith BC, Canada (1:153/7001.0)