Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции FTSC_PUBLIC с датами от 13 Sep 13 18:57:24 до 01 Aug 24 00:39:47, всего сообщений: 7127
= Сообщение: 1029 из 7127 ====================================== FTSC_PUBLIC =
От   : Nicholas Boel                    1:154/701          08 Jan 14 13:10:56
Кому : Bjrn Felten                                         08 Jan 14 13:10:56
Тема : all over but the crying?
FGHI : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=1:154/701+52cda4a8
На   : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=2:203/2+52cba9ec
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: UTF-8 ==================================
Hello Bjrn,

On 07 Jan 14 08:17, Bjrn Felten wrote to Nicholas Boel:

NB>> It would at least be nice if some of the most popular editors of
NB>> today's FTN age could display the characters properly. The fact
NB>> that noone wants to do anything about it kind of baffles me,
NB>> though.

BF>    Maybe not over at your side of the pond, but over here there's been
BF> a lot being done about it.

What, exactly? I'm interested in taking a look at any currently maintained
software that's up to today's standards.

BF>    Even 20 years ago, the FrontDoor editor (FE.EXE) handled the most
BF> common CHRS kludges correctly. And a JamNNTPd/T-bird combo comes a
BF> long way.

A long way from what? JamNNTPd still doesn't have good UTF-8 support. It uses
the same translation tables as Golded+. It even says in the documentation that
whatever UTF-8 readability with JamNNTPd is a complete hack, and that you
still have to keep the ISO-8859-1 readability otherwise it will mangle the
FROM field. Posting in UTF-8 is a completely different story. I've gotten
"Unsupported charset: UTF-8" quite a few times from my JamNNTPd server setup.

Also, while doing some reading up on the JamNNTPd docs the other day, I
noticed what _might_ be a possible fix for your headers not being the same as
your message body. Try commenting out the "noencode" option and see if that
works. Just an idea, as it was the only thing that mentioned anything about 7
and 8 bit headers.

BF>    One of the reasons Johan Billing wrote the JamNNTPd program was in
BF> fact to free Fidonet from the archaic FTN editor's stranglehold, and
BF> move the problem solving to the very active internet developers.

Unfortunately it didn't free Fidonet completely. If it uses the same
translation tables as Golded+, it still has the same limitations as what we've
been talking about in regards to Golded+ as well. I can at least read and
write in UTF-8 since I am on a full UTF-8 console, but anything in regards to
Golded+ and/or JamNNTPd are still lacking in that category.

Regards,
Nick

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20130910
* Origin: Dark Sorrow | darksorrow.us (1:154/701)