Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции FTSC_PUBLIC с датами от 13 Sep 13 18:57:24 до 01 Aug 24 00:39:47, всего сообщений: 7127
= Сообщение: 1380 из 7127 ====================================== FTSC_PUBLIC =
От   : Nicholas Boel                    1:154/701          20 Oct 14 16:22:26
Кому : Paul Quinn                                          20 Oct 14 16:22:26
Тема : Re: FTSC-5001 question
FGHI : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=1:154/701+54457ed9
На   : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=3:640/1384+54444004
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: UTF-8 ==================================
Ответ: area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=3:640/1384+54458b9e
Hello Paul,

On 20 Oct 14 08:49, Paul Quinn wrote to Nicholas Boel:

NB>> When Carol mentioned that Argus was taking the incoming telnet
NB>> connections of BBS callers, I didn't think the "intelligent"
NB>> mailer was doing what you state above that it does, or is
NB>> supposed to do?

PQ> xxCarol turned -off- telnet in Argus (presumably just port 23, as that
PQ> is its [Argus'] default), letting SBBS use it instead.  She could have
PQ> made a setting or three to allow Argus to 'filter' incoming telnet
PQ> calls, if (if!) she had a need... as she stated.  She kept it simple
PQ> by doing as she did.

Most likely because she was using Synchronet's telnet server as well. If the mailer were to take care of it all, the Synchronet telnet server should be turned off so as to not interfere. Instead, Argus's telnet server was turned off so Synchronet's telnet server would use that port as expected. I'm guessing there was a conflict while running two servers on port 23.

NB>> I don't use a telnet mailer, but simply telnetting with a client
NB>> gives me your Mystic BBS on port 10023.

PQ> Well that's only half the test I expected.  No matter; there's no time
PQ> limit.  It is as it has been for several years, and will remain so.
PQ> The ultimate test would be to make a mailer poll while a BBS login is
PQ> in session.  I leave it to you to swing one or a few with a mate, in
PQ> cahoots for the purpose of the test.

I don't plan to ever install a telnet mailer. Are you saying to just poll you with binkd on that port? The mailer may answer, but the telnet session won't be successful seeing as though binkd is a binkp mailer only.

PQ> BTW, which program do you think answered your call?  Clue: I have
PQ> never (not ever!) used the Mystic telnet server, nor any other.

The version of Mystic you're using does not have a telnet server for Linux. That I know. Then again, you mention using all these Linux systems everywhere, yet you're running Argus? I guess I never paid much attention if/when you've ever described your setup.

Then again, when you telnet to port 10023 on your system. There is nothing that states what telnet server is answering the call, either. So "which program do you think answered your call?" I guess I can now answer that it was Argus, but noone else would know that without you saying so. Your port 23 answers, but hangs up right away without any notification. I'm not sure if that's intended or not though.

Regards,
Nick

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20130910
* Origin: thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin) (1:154/701)