Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции FTSC_PUBLIC с датами от 13 Sep 13 18:57:24 до 01 Aug 24 00:39:47, всего сообщений: 7127
= Сообщение: 1994 из 7127 ====================================== FTSC_PUBLIC =
От   : Mark Hofmann                     1:261/1304         03 Mar 16 10:52:58
Кому : Mark Lewis                                          03 Mar 16 10:52:58
Тема : Re: FSP-1040.001 draft 0
FGHI : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=1:261/1304+56D85DDC
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
ml> yeah... there was a proliferation of "little hitlers" back in the day
ml> that tried to force folks to pull mail from their systems and make
ml> other's pay for the service... very few understood or realized that they
ml> could set up any links they wanted to with any other system they could
ml> negotiate a contract with... planet connect helped to break that
ml> misbegotten belief and lie that so many were told...

I didn't mind paying the small amount to help offset costs back in the day. We had the same practice in WWIVnet, which I eventually became the AC.  By that time, I was pulling packets via the Internet and did away with the CRP.

ml> i honestly do not remember if this was in the late '80s or mid '90s...

Probably early 90s.  That was around the time WWIVTOSS was written.

ml> ewwwww... that's ugly... WWIVTOSS should, IMHO, speak both "languages"
ml> and contain all the routines needed to talk to FTNs as well as WWIV
ml> networks... especially if it is to talk to both sides of the fence...

The reason WWIVTOSS kicks off the network software as a separate process was due to the fact that the WWIV network software unfortunately isn't open source.  That dates back to the Wayne Bell days.  It would be nice if that could be changed.

There is code in WWIVTOSS now that can natively write to the WWIV message bases, but the network software itself (source code) is not available to others.

Dean Nash purchased WWIV from Wayne Bell years ago and has the source, but is unable to share it.  Work is going done to write new network software to eventually replace it.

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.51
* Origin:  http://www.weather-station.org * Bel Air, MD -USA (1:261/1304.0)