Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции FTSC_PUBLIC с датами от 13 Sep 13 18:57:24 до 01 Aug 24 00:39:47, всего сообщений: 7127
= Сообщение: 2003 из 7127 ====================================== FTSC_PUBLIC =
От   : mark lewis                       1:3634/12          04 Mar 16 20:49:31
Кому : Stephen Hurd                                        04 Mar 16 20:49:31
Тема : FSP-1040.001 draft 1
FGHI : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=1:3634/12.0+6da32770
На   : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=104.fido-ftscpubl@1:103/1+1b3e7c54
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Ответ: area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=108.fido-ftscpubl@1:103/1+1b437149

 On Fri, 04 Mar 2016, Stephen Hurd wrote to mark lewis:

> s/Usually set to zero\./Usually set to zero when the message is packed\.
> This  is because the cost field in the local unpacked copy of the message
> pertains to the actual cost in monetary value to transmit the message from
> the local system to the destination system\./

SH> This spec only covers the packet formats.  Any cost field in some
SH> other file or structure isn't specified here.  I could remove the
SH> "Usually set to zero" part if you like, though I think having it in
SH> there as guidance is worthwhile.

no... it is fine there... i was thinking that an explanation for why it is set to zero would be helpful...

SH> I didn't see anything in your discussion about the cost field of
SH> packets.

if you mean the cost field of a packed message, that's because there is nothing to talk about, really... the cost field comes from the original MSG format which the packed message is based on... that's why they are so similar in form...

if you and i are linked, if my system places a value in the cost field of a packed message, what is your system supposed to do with that cost value when your system unpacks that message for processing? the value shouldn't mean anything to you or your system... it may hamper your system's operation if it is used for qualifying the mail for sending because your cost to send it on may be different than mine... it should be zeroed when my system packs the message to prevent this interference but the receiving system may want to zero it on reception if it is not already zero... the receiving system may alter the value to fit their cost structure when they quality the mail for the next hop (eg: routed netmail being processed on an intermediate system)...

there was an incident some years back in the '90s where a mailer or tosser would not qualify a message to be sent on to the next hop... it was finally discovered that the originator had not zeroed the cost field and the intermediate system's setup didn't allow for mail with a cost value that high to be sent on... the devs of the packages involved got together and figured out what needed to be done was to zero the cost field when packing and ignoring or zeroing the cost field on arrival to avoid the problem... this allowed the intermediate system(s) to be able to also use the cost field for their needs in passing the message on... dynamic mailers are the main users of the cost field but some BSO systems may also use them if they use tools like bonk and son-of-bonk and similar to manage the mail waiting in their BSO for sending...

)\/(ark

* Origin:  (1:3634/12)