Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции FTSC_PUBLIC с датами от 13 Sep 13 18:57:24 до 01 Aug 24 00:39:47, всего сообщений: 7127
= Сообщение: 1106 из 7127 ====================================== FTSC_PUBLIC =
От   : mark lewis                       1:3634/12.71       14 Jan 14 12:49:20
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               14 Jan 14 12:49:20
Тема : CHRS kludge implementations
FGHI : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=1:3634/12.71+2d57a700
На   : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=2:280/5555+52d549a5
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014, Michiel van der Vlist wrote to mark lewis:

BF>>    From what I've seen so far, there's not a single person that
BF>> will advocate the level part of the CHARS kludge, so lets get rid
BF>> of it once and for all.

ml> you're seeing a few people in here talking about it... what you
ml> are not seeing is current practise which is done by all the
ml> software being used on the network... as long as a majority of
ml> software emits and/or uses the level parameter, the documentation
ml> is correct... what are you going to do when you remove that level
ml> parameter and break software all over the network?

MvdV> As I see it, there is no added value in dropping the level
MvdV> parameter, but doing so may break backward compatibility. So no
MvdV> pros for dropping it, just cons.

agreed and that was my point as well... thank you! ;)

MvdV> When we were to redo Fidonet from start, we would probably do
MvdV> without the level parameter. It is not very useful. Sometimes
MvdV> however we just have to live with the consequences of decisions
MvdV> made in the past. We do not know if there is still softare around
MvdV> that will break when the level parameter is omitted, but why take
MvdV> the chance?

very true... if we were to redo fidonet from the ground up, i wuold maybe suggest to use procedures more like what is used on the internet in numerous cases... especially where character sets come into play... even their methods of encoding in the control lines (from, to, subject)... but i would still carry the binary capabilities we have without their overhead of MIME, UU and/or XX encoding of binaries...

speaking of binaries, it would be an idea to also look closer as the type 3 pkt formats as well as the type 10... i recall at least one pkt type that used a form of xml or maybe what is known today as JSON where each section of messages is encapsulated within its specific section... this was all before xml and JSON were really being used like they are today ;)

MvdV> It doesn't eat bread, so the recomenation for new sofwtare to
MvdV> include it when writing and ignore on read seems to be adequate.

+1 :)

)\/(ark

Not only is the Universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can
think. - Werner Heisenberg

--- FMail/Win32 1.60
* Origin:  (1:3634/12.71)